SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coda crossover
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Coda crossover Reply with quote

Hi, Have B110s and T27s and consructing spkrs based on Coda design. I see that Falcon offer c/o to original Coda spec. ( £9.50 ) these would be fine but would prefer to wire up myself.... would much appreciate layout and values of components. Also wire spec. for inductors if it is necessary to make these up.
Thank You
Alex
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Coda crossover Reply with quote

All you need to know is on this most excellent website already!
If you missed the technical bit have a long browse on: http://hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Anatomy.html

You will then see not only original KEF information regarding the Coda, but pictures as well as details regarding the crossover components, cabinet etc from the KEF CS1 Kit. All you could possibly want.

A suberb source of knowledge and information...
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
details regarding the crossover components

No you won't Shocked .

As it's elsewhere Smile, as I couldn't be bothered to draw the schematic Rolling Eyes .

B110 half section, 0.8mH, 6uF.

T27 half section, 5uF, 0.25mH.

Inductor RDC ~0.3 Ohm, Capacitors 50V L.L.

That's assuming you're going to use some form of low powered SAD valve amplifier.

Greater performance will be achieved by using an aB treble section and a more complex bass section Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Me? Wrong? Embarassed Never been known!

Trouble with assumptions that using Acoustic Butterworth would come as obvious to all and sundry! Why stop at second order crossover?

Small increase in cabinet volume within reason is beneficial without causing too much havoc in the bass region.

Good Luck!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great site and all but sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about. Embarassed

On the other hand, I learned recently that you hold a screwdriver by the thick end, not the skinny end. Rolling Eyes
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Weller. Reply with quote

Hi Garry!

Pro Noblem! Being moved to paper pushing for a year I found it a shock when I picked up my trusty Weller Soldering Iron by the wrong end... Confused

Damned good site though eh?

Gary wrote:
This is a great site and all but sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about. Embarassed

On the other hand, I learned recently that you hold a screwdriver by the thick end, not the skinny end. Rolling Eyes
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've grabbed an iron by the wrong end, too! Know how to prevent bad blisters? Soak the burn in Javex bleach and water!

Fantastic site! Smile
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Could be better Reply with quote

Thanks all. Very Happy Site could be a lot better though if I could find the time to publish the wealth of contributed information sent to me. Embarassed Sorry about that folks. Sad
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

+ ------------L1----------------------I--------------------------------- +ve
...................................................... I
.................................................... C1
-
----------------------------------------I -------------------------------- -ve

A half section
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd order 12db octave...
JimN
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Coda crossover Reply with quote

Hi,
A small point worth mentioning is that with half section networks the drivers are usually connected out of phase. However, the Coda units are connected in phase.
I assume the B110 is SP1003 and as such it might be better to use the CS1A crossover, and rear mount the driver. The CS1 crossover is better suited to a front mounted SP1057/SP1032 combination.
Regards,
Jim
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Coda crossover Reply with quote

Ah yes, but look at the design, it is 3rd order with the clever ab stuck on.
18db octave with the inevitable phase anomaly. Therefore that is correct!
So, all the answers are in the website after all... As expected.
Yum!

JimN wrote:
Hi,
A small point worth mentioning is that with half section networks the drivers are usually connected out of phase. However, the Coda units are connected in phase.
I assume the B110 is SP1003 and as such it might be better to use the CS1A crossover, and rear mount the driver. The CS1 crossover is better suited to a front mounted SP1057/SP1032 combination.
Regards,
Jim
JimN
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Coda crossover Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes, but I was referring to the original Coda crossover (2nd order, 12dB/octave). It is usual to connect the units out of phase with 2nd order networks, but KEF, it seems, chose to do otherwise and probably with good reason.
The CS1 and CS1A crossovers are, as you say, correct and were only really mentioned as possible improvements, depending on the B110 type.
Regards,
Jim
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Coda crossover Reply with quote

Interesting, a fact I had not been aware of!

I'll dig up mine and do some tests with pink & white noise as well as musical input.

Now look at what you have started! Laughing
Alex
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who responded to my crossover queries....info. most helpful and a useful intro. to a very excellent site. One has also to include the to and fro banter re. screwdrivers and first aid advice on the treatment of soldering iron burns. Handy to know that!
I'm a new kid to this game (but an old one) with pretty scant knowledge on matters technical or theoretical but capable of following constructional details. No soldering burns (yet!!). However, interest in making x/over coils has run aground and evaporated since turning up a web site " Wouter's Homebrew Crossovers" on http://retro.co.za/audio/xover.html
Full details on coil construction but complicated.

Has anyone any info on coil suppliers....I understand that neither Falcon nor Maplins stock them now.

Regards. Alex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: