SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crossovers - T27ab for T33

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roke
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Crossovers - T27ab for T33 Reply with quote

Hi. Just wanted to check I'm not missing anything (novice speaker builder Wink

I have taken the HF (T27 Acoustic Butterworth) section from the 104ab crossover design and substituted it for the T33 section on the CS7 design (I'm using drivers from a Concerto in a CS7 based cabinet design). Should this be ok?

Then, I was thinking of substituting polypropylene or mylar capacitors for elctrolytic throughout, and using air cored inductors in the LF section, and ferrite cored in the MF and HF.

Also, I have rounded the edges of the front of the cabinet. I'm thinking now that there might be edge diffraction compensation built into the CS7 crossover which I have just messed up by rounding the edges. Thoughts?

Any advice much appreciated.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have taken the HF (T27 Acoustic Butterworth) section from the 104ab crossover design and substituted it for the T33 section on the CS7 design

Fine.

Quote:
I'm using drivers from a Concerto in a CS7 based cabinet design.

Not fine, as the B110B is 10% more efficient than the B110A you might not like the "lean" midrange.

Quote:
Then, I was thinking of substituting polypropylene or mylar capacitors for elctrolytic throughout, and using air cored inductors in the LF section, and ferrite cored in the MF and HF.

Series components affect the sound so better/more expensive capacitors in these positions.

If you use an air core in the bass section loose the resistor.

Quote:
Also, I have rounded the edges of the front of the cabinet. I'm thinking now that there might be edge diffraction compensation built into the CS7 crossover which I have just messed up by rounding the edges.

Yes and probably not, unless the flat part of the baffle is 6.5" wide like a Ref 105 head.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
roke
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, Colin.

I am going to model the crossover in SPICE and try to make it work for the B110A.

But what would be ideal is to get my hands on the Falcon no.53 crossover. However I understand Malcolm Jones has left Falcon, and Falcon now cannot supply this item. Does anyone on this group have details of the no. 53 crossover they would be willing to let me have?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Malcolm Jones has left Falcon, and Falcon now cannot supply this item

A bit perturbing eh folks, signs of things yet to come? Sad

Ronan has his crossover details btw.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: