SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

concertos: how to improve the sound of mids and highs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr. paul
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: concertos: how to improve the sound of mids and highs? Reply with quote

first of all a big hello to everybody!

is there a way to get more gain out of the mid-range drivers and the tweeters of my concertos? the thing is that in comparison to my other pair of speakers (ie. hh scott pro-100b 5-way speakers) the mids and highs seem to own a really thin and even faint sound. as i use both pairs in my system, it is kind of an unsatisfactory state for my sensitive ear Wink to have such sound-differences. so if there is a possibility (like mods) to push the upper frequencies, please let me know.

thanks

dr. paul
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to get more gain out of the mid-range drivers and the tweeters of my concertos

If you have the plastic cased 6535 T27's, probably not.

The slightly "spitty" T27 SP1032 is brighter, so if they sound "off" they're either stuffed or the crossover capacitors are.

Adding a Coles 4001G via a 0.3mH inductor and 0.47uF capacitor across the T27 output will provide more "attack" if that is required.

You cannot really "hot-rod" the B110A, as it's already a few dB louder than the other two units.

Steeper sloped crossovers are available from www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk
but you need >70W rms to drive them.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

dr. paul wrote:
first of all a big hello to everybody!

Welcome to this forum. Your post intrigued me as I have used a modified KEFKIT 3 speaker system since 1976 and it just sounds better each time I upgrade my electronics. Once I thought that the speakers were limiting the system - until I started upgrading the rest of my system. I now have a Naim-based system consisting of CDS2; XPS; Nac52; Supercap; Nap250 and a Rega Planar 25 turntable plus some vintage stuff including Nakamichi Cassette decks and reel to reel tape systems.

dr. paul wrote:
is there a way to get more gain out of the mid-range drivers and the tweeters of my concertos?

The KEF supplied frequency response curve for the Concerto (and my ears) would suggest that this should not be necessary given all components in good condition.

dr. paul wrote:
the thing is that in comparison to my other pair of speakers (ie. hh scott pro-100b 5-way speakers) the mids and highs seem to own a really thin and even faint sound.

I don't know the HH Scott model to which you are referring. Is this a vintage HH Scott or one of the new Cinema Sound systems?
I certainly wouldn't say that a T27 has a thin sound. On the contrary warm (relatively) would be my best description of the T27. The B110 may be thought of as thin sounding relative to other thicker sounding mid range drivers. Which is more coloured? The B110 is wonderful to my ears. When you consider that the LS3/5a uses both drivers mentioned I suspect that you might just have several hundred thousand users world wide not agreeing with you.

dr. paul wrote:
as i use both pairs in my system
I suspect that this is the problem. Try the Concertos on their own then try the HH Scotts on their own.

What amplification and source are you using? If in good condition the Concertos should sound really wonderful if your source components and amps are of a good quality. Don't however expect to rock the walls and floors with the output.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Concertos were very "middley" in absolute terms, which was the fashion in those days. If you put a 3 Ohm resistor in series with each B110 you would get a flatter on axis frequency response and a less coloured sound. i.e. more like the Reference Series 104, 104aB and 103 which were much loved but in my opinion a bit too much the other way. They could sound as if vocals were lacking or very recessed.

Don't know anything about your other speakers so can't comment.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I always found the B110A very neutral if treated properly regarding loading and C/O. After the decision by KEF to stop making these fine transducers they were still blessed with the best transient response of a dynamic loudspeaker of that size available.
I so hate myself for having sold all mine... Sad
RGBE
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m using several B110 as mid range speakers, and I always need to strongly attenuate them to sound flat relative to the B139 and T27 or Celestion HF 1300.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: