SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early model Cadenzas - pictures & questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderJon
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Early model Cadenzas - pictures & questions Reply with quote

I've just acquired some early model Cadenzas - serial numbers 9514 & 9589, 'inspection' date March 1972 - and have put some photos of them online at

http://picasaweb.google.com/jon.wallis/KefCadenzas

I'm especially curious about the rather DIY-looking construction of the ABR. Based on information on this site, if it's an early model, the ABR would have had a foam surround, but mine are definitely rubber (and still in good condition).

So I'm thinking it's a later "repair", particularly given the way it's fitted - ie, just bolted over the cut-out hole, with gaps at the side (although, the gaps might be there for airflow through the holes in the side of the polystyrene block - but why?).

Also, the ABR 'unit' - ie, the thing shown in

http://picasaweb.google.com/jon.wallis/KefCadenzas/photo#4986535201053278226

- is the same on both sides - ie, there's an identical diaphragm on each side - is that "normal"?

Finally (for now) - are Cadenzas all built in the same orientation - ie, with the Tweeter above left of the Woofer - or were they sold in "mirror-image" pairs?

Any info gratefully received!

Regards

Jon
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was before my time at KEF but I do recall a few things about these early passive radiators (PR) as they were described to me.

The Cadenza was probably the first PR system brought to KEF by the then new Technical Director, Laurie Fincham, who had previously designed a whole range of PR systems while at Celestion.

These early PRs were cut from a single block of material and a surround added to each sides. Simple, cheap and effective, however the later conventional chassis built units more easily fitted in with line building techniques, the moving mass could be changed more easily by using different metal tubes and sealing to the cabinet was more reliable, so, they were eventually superceded.

The hole is simply to equalise air pressures. Otherwise the trapped air between the surrounds would cause surround distortion at high excursions.

SG
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As SG says the ABR units are completly kosher, early but not rare.

The Cadenza, Concerto, Chorale, Coda, Ref 104, etc were never "handed" as it would have slowed down production and testing.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: