SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

update on open baffle speakers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixpete
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: update on open baffle speakers. Reply with quote

Well got round to buying a pair of half finished open baffle speakers from a friend of mine who was using them as his experimental set.
I got them in plain birch ply and veneered them in oak,added extra bracing to the panels to stiffen them up a bit, painted the insides with a sort of thick matt black and generally tidied them up really.
The drive units are Visaton, the top one is an 8inch full range unit connected directly to the amp (no crossover) and the bottom unit is a 15inch woofer connected via a crossover just to handle the very lows.
They are very fussy as to position but after hours of moving around I settled on about a metre from the rear wall toed in a fare bit.
They sound fantastic,I am hearing details I never heard before and the bass is very deep but with no trace of boom.
I am running them with 2 quad 303s bi-amped, one 303 driving the full range units and the other one for the woofers.
See pic's.
[image][/image]
[image][/image]
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you find the main issues were with placement?

Is it mainly down to bass coming out of the back of the driver type things?

And/or did you have problems with other speakers in the same room - looks to be a fair bit of glass!

Thanks
phoenixpete
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roberte
Placement wise I found it difficult to get them to image properly,mainly getting good central focus. No more speakers in the room.
Also if placed any nearer to the back wall they were a bit boomy and harsh.
I find there is a definate sweet spot,you only have to move 6" either side of centre and the balance goes with you, and looses central focus, but still sounds great. Don't know if having them not toe'd in would be better,may try this,either way I am very pleased with them.
They are in my conservatory which is 21' x 11' plus the "P" shaped bit which is 14'
I thought this would be a problem with all the reflective surfaces and little soft furnishing but the whole system sounds fantastic I think anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: