SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help With My CS3's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Help With My CS3's. Reply with quote

First time posting so hello to everyone and advance apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum heading.

In 1987 I built a set of CS3's. They gave me great service. About 4 years ago I bought a new amplifier and was persuaded by the dealer to "upgrade" to a pair of Dynaudio Audience 50's. Not wanting to part with my CS3's as I thought I may want to give them an airing in the future, and having two kids who would, I thought in the future, want a hi-fi separate to mine, I stored the CS3's in my garage.

Sure enough, daughter hits 12 and wants her own hi fi. I dust down the CS3's, one works perfectly but the other works only partially, and that partial working is also intermitent. The problem seems to be with the bass driver (B200G 1075) - it kind of "buzzes" giving a muffled sound. The best way of describing it is that it sounds like there is something in the cone causing the cone to vibrate. The problem clears, temporarily, if I give the speakers an "outing" at high volume with hard driven bass (Budgies "greatest hits" works wonders!), but soon returns.

I have swapped the speakers around, and tried on my system, but the problem remains with the one drive unit only.

Can anybody advise me what has gone wrong, and what I can do about it? I guess, but could be wrong, that the problem is unlikely to be connected to the crossover, and the origin of the problem may lie with physical damage to the drive unit from being stored in a damper environment than it should have.

Help, please!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if your suspension has sagged a little to far.

Does the driver operate on it's back?

A repair would cost around £40.

Look to German and U.S. ePimp for a replacement, they're not often seen on U.K. ePimp as the profit motivated sharks prefer high margin items like Concerto's, T52's and T27's.

Remember store driver and loudspeakers on their backs if you're not going to use them for a while.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
GE
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try when I get in tonight and let you know!
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rotating the driver and allow a week or so for gravity to take effect. It might save the cost of a recone.
GE
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

I placed the speaker on its back, and whilst on its back, no improvement. When I set it upright there was a (temporary) improvement (albeit the treble driver stopped for a while). After about five minutes the fuzziness returned. That, kind of, is what has been happening anyway.

I will try rotating the speaker through one third and remounting and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: