SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Wireless world + Calinda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Kef Wireless world + Calinda Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and i have had many changes in HiFi systems
in the past, did have a pair of Kef Concord.

Recently had the chance to buy a pair of the transmission line wireless world kit from the local paper, and was very pleased with them and is in
regular use as I like the bottom end bass.

Also just bought a pair of Kef Calindas off ebay and they are in very good condition.

I was given a pair of B139s from the 70s and have kept them as I have
always liked them - fasinated with them actually.

Was thinking of swapping the B139s on the Calindas and changing the
x-overs - can anyone recommend what x-overs to get ? Or just leave
them as they are.

Thanks
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

the general concensus is to just leave them alone. the active B139 would not work in there, even with a revised crossover. just too many woofers in too small an enclosure.

they sound pretty awesome as is. if you want more bass, i'd suggest a good subwoofer. i have a REL Q100, but there are so many good cheap subs nowadays, just keep an eye out on the used market. i'd only look at sealed boxes thoough. i've found that ported enclosures are a bit boomy.

i have my Calindas up on 9" AVF metal stands. the T27 keeps it's attack which is so addictive, but getting them up to ear level reduces their inherent "spittyness" when t hey are off access.

honestly, i also have a pair of KEF 104/2, but i really like the Calindas presentation better. sorta like large BBC LS3/5A i am told.

see ya,
Robby
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take your advice and leave it alone, best to leave it as it was designed.

i feel the bass of the calindas are good enough,but the mid and top end is not as transparent and open as i would like, but its not too much of a problem as i think its the kef sound.

saying that i will hope to try other amplification to improve the top end.

i have been looking at stands and 9" seems the right size to go for the calindas.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mid and top end is not as transparent and open as i would like

KEF loudspeakers generally offer a warm and cuddly presentation, you might "brighten them up" by sticking some SCR/Solen capacitors in the crossover, using a balance of bright sources and neutral amplification or using them in a livelier room environment.
Try them out in your garage, if you still don't like their sound, get rid of them.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other speakers do you have? what amps are you using

the mids can be a little nasally and a touch recessed with some amps, but the T27 tweeters should be VERY open and in your face. they extend up to 30kHz.

are you sure the tweeters are working okay? no distortion coming from them?

they are picky about placement to get the best imaging out of them. but veiled is not a word I'd use to describe the Calindas. they are very neutral speakers in a "hi-fi" sense. meaning 1970's KEF speakers were one of the first speakers to do away with the syrupy warm mids and rolled off highs of 1960's speakers (think bozak, tannoy, wharfedale, etc.).

with the advent of the BBC LS3/5A, the notion became that the aforementioned antiquated sonics were NOT realistic. mids are not supposed to be really prominent and there's a lot more high frequency information that was getting lost in older speakers with a 15kHz roll-off.

trust me, i am not defending the Calindas. i dig them, but everyone's taste is different. i will say this. they sound very nice and extende dwith my mcintosh MC60's, BUT they lose out on some mids and the bass is light. when i fired them up with the quad 405-2, they came alive! the mids surround you and the bass shook the house. the highs became a touch recessed and grainy (due to the crappy stock op-amps in the 405-2).

see ya,
Robby
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your comments, it's been informative.

i must say i like the warm sound of the kefs when partnered with my
rega elicit amp and rega planet cd player, both were designed to sound
analogue rather than digital, and it shows.

at the moment i find myself listening to the wireless world home made
kefs than the calindas as the bass is rather good and extended [ sounds alot like bass from a tube amp ] although the calindas are not far behind
in sonic terms.

i will put the calindas on stands which will defo improve things, and will
think about changing my amp / cd player.

any suggestions on amp / cd combo will be gratefully received.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: