SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

103.2 REFERENCE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazm
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: 103.2 REFERENCE Reply with quote

hi all new to keff speakers im looking at buying a pair of these ,was this a good year for these speakers and a bit of information ,thanks .

type SP1121 and are a matched pair of 5273 A and 5273 B and are 8 ohms Very Happy
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go for speakers containing these drive units

B139, BD139, B200, B110, T27

for the original kef sound Laughing

imho the new kefs dont sound the same Crying or Very sad

others may disagree
dazm
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks suffolk2 , are these no good ,there from 1980's i mostly listen to jazz ,classical ,easy listning , im looking for a warm sound , a good allrounder if you can have that in speakers, im very new to this so the B139, BD139, B200, B110, T27,im not what they are , can i go by the 103,101,104 ex ex . sorry tobe a pain,many thanks dazm
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This system used a B200 SP1075 woofer and a T33 SP1074 tweeter. I don't have any documentation to support this. I am just using "the force". I also seem to remember it used grommets to partly isolate the woofer mechanical vibrations from the cabinet.

A great little system. Sold by the bucket load and virtually unbreakable thanks to the S-Stop protection module. The sales guys used to plug them into the US mains to demonstrate how good it was (don't try it with UK mains Laughing ).
suffolk2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the purist view, the more electronics you place in the speaker,
the more it degrades the sound, hence xovers are getting more and more simple.

as for protection circuits, once the system is connected, will it ever
be used ? so why have it there ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru said
Quote:
used a B200 SP1075 woofer and a T33 SP1074 tweeter. I don't have any documentation to support this. I am just using "the force". I also seem to remember it used grommets to partly isolate the woofer mechanical vibrations from the cabinet

Quite correct, look at the photographs of pair Steve Bell took apart in the "Speaker Systems" section.

suffolk2 said quite a bit!

Regardless of the complexity of the componentry a purist would not enjoy listening to most 70's and 80's mass market KEF loudspeakers, being voiced in a particular manner and not having a following of audio reviewers like Colloms, Messenger, Kessler and the like, who "preferred" more exotic marks.

-

The KEF S-Stop circuit is a parasitic design in parallel with the crossover.

It may operate a little too soon for some, but some of those who have disabled it tend to be the same ones that bleat at me regarding sources of replacement drive units.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
speakerguru said
Quote:
used a B200 SP1075 woofer and a T33 SP1074 tweeter. I don't have any documentation to support this. I am just using "the force". I also seem to remember it used grommets to partly isolate the woofer mechanical vibrations from the cabinet

Quite correct, look at the photographs of pair Steve Bell took apart in the "Speaker Systems" section.

suffolk2 said quite a bit!

Regardless of the complexity of the componentry a purist would not enjoy listening to most 70's and 80's mass market KEF loudspeakers, being voiced in a particular manner and not having a following of audio reviewers like Colloms, Messenger, Kessler and the like, who "preferred" more exotic marks.

-

The KEF S-Stop circuit is a parasitic design in parallel with the crossover.

It may operate a little too soon for some, but some of those who have disabled it tend to be the same ones that bleat at me regarding sources of replacement drive units.

I am not saying I am a purist, nor do I portray myself to be one.
Just saying what the consensus xovers designers out there are
advocating i.e. simple xovers = great sounds.

As for myself, I like to listen to old Kefs at this particular point
in time.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Crossovers. Reply with quote

This is a double edged sword.
There is much common sense regarding simple crossovers, for example group delay, phase response and many other factors.
There again some loudspeakers bass, mid, and treble units object most strongly to handling frequencies out of their allocated band.
Many KEF units such as the B139 and T27 will testify!
Witness LS35a and Spendor designs, hardly minimalist yet are firmly set in the audio history as all time classics.
If a driver is designed from scratch to work in a 6dB per octave crossover then so be it, but beware the dabbler who does the opposite!
Best left to experts and engineers who have studied the magic art at university and understand the pitfalls.

Do not get me wrong, I have designed may loudspeakers and crossovers, some were an absolute disaster and yet others a brilliant success. A combination of knowledge, study and sheer luck!
The latter hardly scientific, I started circa 1968 and am still learning and am awed by the expertise of a few established members, they could probably forget more than I have learnt and still have more to spare!

I have at work for demonstration purposes some crossovers from ATC and PMC loudspeakers, again take it or leave it but both much respected in the studio monitoring world, these are hardly minimalist.

In my private museum on the other hand I have loudspeakers with only one capacitor in series with the tweeter and sometimes with the right material they sound glorious.

Swings and roundabouts…
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with proffski,

6db x-overs are great if you have drivers that can exceed 3x the range outside their specified crossover bandwidth. i don't believe KEF drivers were made for this purpose. I'm pretty sure the T27 wouldn't sound that great with a 6db x-over. it doesn't like going particularly low and is still sorta "spitty" with the 4th order butterowrth. it would attract bats with a 6db first order Wink

i used to own a clean pair of bozak 302A-Urbans. they use 1st order x-overs and sounded incredible (sans the crappy high frequency response of their 200y tweeters). rudy bozak designed his drivers to effectively reproduce signals way out of their intended frequency range for this purpose though.

see ya,
Robby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: