SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RR 103.2 crossover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans 67
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: RR 103.2 crossover? Reply with quote

Hello all,

has anybody the schematic of the RR 103.2 crossover?

Is it equal to the CS3 crossover (except the extra protection circuitry in the RR 103.2)? I have the schematic of the CS3. I think the drivers are equal (is writen in the CS3 brochure).

Greetings, Hans
hans 67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

and how about the crossover in the 303? How does that compare to the ones in the CS3 and the 103.2?

Greetings, Hans
SteveB
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RR 103.2 crossover? Reply with quote

hans 67 wrote:
Is it equal to the CS3 crossover (except the extra protection circuitry in the RR 103.2)? I have the schematic of the CS3. I think the drivers are equal (is writen in the CS3 brochure).

The drivers are the same but the RR 103.2 crossover is different in a few ways: I can send you a scan of the schematic, traced out by myself from my own RR103.2s. Please send me your email address via the "private message" link.

Please note that the inductor values were measured, as they do not have any markings - the values shown may not be exact. Also, the schematic is hand-drawn and does not include the extra protection electronics!

I have not traced the protection circuit, as there is a Sensor Module, which is sealed and there is no way of knowing what is inside.
hans 67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve,

I have received your e-mail. Nice work.

More people are probably interested. Is it possible to put it on this site (if it is there already, then I could not find it)?

Greetings, Hans
hans 67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have seen in the schematic from Steve that the CS3 and the RR 103.2 crossover circuits are different.

Is it possible to use the CS3 crossover in the RR 103.2?

Why? All the original crossovers use a lot of electrolytes. And Falcon sells replacement crossovers for the CS3 with polyester capacitors (except the large 300 uF ones).

Greetings, Hans
hans 67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

it is interesting to see that the RR 103.2 crossover uses a notch filter for the B200 and the CS3 not.

Is this notch filter needed?

Greetings, Hans
SteveB
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans,
I've sent the crossover circuit to Terry for possible inclusion on the site, along with several others.

Interesting to note that the crossover topology for the bass unit in the R103.2 is exactly the same as that in the R101 (which uses the B110B). Obviously the components have different values but the same circuit layout is used. Perhaps the Reference crossovers are more complex because KEF were striving to make these speakers the very best, with as smooth a frequency response as possible, regardless of component count.

I don't know if the crossovers can be interchanged between R103.2 and CS3, or if the notch filter is needed. Perhaps try it and see if you can hear a difference?

Regarding polyester capacitors, these are deemed to be superior to electrolytics (lower distortion) and they have a much longer life time.
hans 67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

yes, it is the lifetime I am worrying about. Electrolytics lose their capacitance. And that can be a problem with the notch filter (after 20 years), which must have a good defined frequency. Without the notch filter the CS3 has already a pretty flat frequency response. And the housing is not that different. Thus it must be possible to replace it with that of the CS3 (but it will not be a RR 103.2 anymore).

Can I reach the crossover when I remove the B200?
Where is it located?

Greetings, Hans
SteveB
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans,
it is easy to access the crossover. Remove the B200 and disconnect the wires (these are push fit connectors on mine). The crossover is mounted in the base of the cabinet. Lift up the acoustic foam and disconnect the connector on the right hand side (this disconnects the B200, T33 and LED on the front). Disconnect the two input wires (black and white) at the back also (again, easy push on connectors).

The crossover is held in place by 4 nuts - one at each corner. Use a nut socket (9/32 inch or 7mm) to undo these. You can then lift out the crossover.

Remember to put connections back correctly when re-assembling.
Jake
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveB wrote:
I don't know if the crossovers can be interchanged between R103.2 and CS3, or if the notch filter is needed. Perhaps try it and see if you can hear a difference?

Regarding polyester capacitors, these are deemed to be superior to electrolytics (lower distortion) and they have a much longer life time.

Hans 67, did the new Falcon CS3-crossover give your 103.2 a better sound?

Maybe a technical member can shine some light on the crossover of the Caprice II. Is it the same as the CS3? Or maybe more related to the 103.2. Hope this isn't a stupid question...
hans 67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jake,

no idea? I had no time.

Greetings, Hans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: