SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B139 versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
essence
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: B139 versions Reply with quote

I have three B139 6171's. I have one B139B 1044 Constructor seris.

In my first rebuild pair, I was using one 6171 and one 1044. The bass on the 1044 sucked. I replaced it with a 6171 and got some bass again.

To be even more technical, the 6171 'flapped' as it should when the bass drum was rolling.

So my B139B 1044 constructor series is destined for scrap heap. I could find nothing wrong with it, but it did feel significantly stiffer.

Now here is the question. Did I just get a duff unit (I bought it in the ?late 70's from a shop up Tottenham High Court Rd) , or is there a difference between the 6171 and 1044? I need to know the answer, as I need to purchase another pair, and I don't know which to go for on ebay.

I seem to remember some message about how constructor series units were the rejects.

Last edited by essence on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting from a reliable source, a former manufacturer of transmission lines, "B139A's were terrible things, we used to get them 100 at a time and each one measured differently."

Laurie Fincham once (~1988) stated "you can take any two drivers off the production lines and they'll measure within +/-0.5dB."

When the 6171 evolved into the SP1044 the equivalent volume and lower frequency response limit were reduced somewhat, so you do get less boom for you buck, but it's more consistent.

The best drivers btw, are the least desirable, rebuilds from the mid 80's to the early 90's.

Regarding Constructor Series they're very variable from pair to pair, some are +/-0.25dB others are dogs, never buy a single.

Your SP1044 appears to have canine qualites, although it would be ideal in an isobaric configuration.

Tread carefully with ePrey.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: B139 Reply with quote

Colin I was aware of the facts stated, but I have never been happy with my lack of knowledge regarding the motor design and power handling.
Was there much difference between the versions?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never been happy with my lack of knowledge regarding the motor design and power handling.
Was there much difference between the versions?

Not as great as one would think but great enough and strangely you're actually asking me about the criteria governing my loudspeaker collection.

Now cone weight, magnet size, voice coil gap and number of turns on a voice coil of a certain length can be controlled but "glueables" and "flexibles" are more difficult

So due to drive unit variability caused by the types and ageing process of the epoxy resins used and subtle differences in the performances of drive unit surrounds with respect to age and millimetre perfect, not sub-millimetre SPC, my collection is restricted to certain dates and drive units.

So it's down to glue, timing, rubber and a ruler, reminds me of Blue Peter Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the double sided sticky tape! Very Happy
essence
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I got outbid in the last 30 secs on a pair of 6171's which were being sold 10 minutes away from me, which was a pity, but I have bid again on a single 6171 and will pay postage. But I did pick up a pair of Tannoy 603's which will replace the TDL cheap things for the kitchen for the wife. They sound good for £27.

I think I will go for 6171's, and just mix and match if I find a poor unit.

I should have explained at the start - I am renovating a old pair of HiFi Answers TL speakers, and building a new pair, using units from a Concerto I picked up for £80 at a school fete.

The removated pair is complete, apart from front grill, installed in their old place, and sound wonderful. I can listen to first movement of Mahler's 8th properly again.

Also my gangster rap shakes the house again - I have to wait until the neighbours have gone out.

Possibly my replacement for the T27's, the vifa XT25TG-30-04, needs toning down slightly, or else the grill will help a little.

The new pair I am doing more carefully, just finished veneering cabinets and about to start electrics and front panel.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have bid again on a single 6171 and will pay postage

If you don't get the above and are visiting the Tonbridge Audiojumble next Sunday 11/02/2007, email me, you won't have to pay any postage Smile .

Regarding toning down the Vifa it's either a 82R in series, or 10R in series plus 5R or 3R in parallel for electronic correction, or a 0.5" thick foam doughnut 2/3rds the size of the faceplate behind the grill inline with the dome to provide mechanical correction.
essence
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: nearly finished Reply with quote

Out of interest, I have basically completed my renovation of a pair, and new build of a pair, of hi Fi Answers TL's (cambridge R50 look alikes).

They are superb.

But having slightly less luck getting an ebayer to actually send me the single B139 6171 i have paid by paypal for. So I am one B139 short of a house warming. Neighbours have already complained.

Interestingly enough, I realised the monitors are too big physically for my bedroom (which is a good size, 18' by maybe 12'), so got a pair of Monitor Audio Monitor 3 speakers, second hand for 150 GBP, which are tall but narrow, good looking and fit the room well.

But in comparison with my TL's, they simply do not fill the room. No warmth. Loud, yes, but impact, no.
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of B139 [ not radiators ] with stickers SP1044.
Can anyone tell me what speakers they come out off, or are
they from the constructor series ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are they from the constructor series ?

It would be on the cardboard outer of their polystyrene box if they were, later ones had a label around the magnet.

Quote:
anyone tell me what speakers they come out off

Apart from the Concerto, Cantata and CS7, they could have been "stripped out" or "recovered" from at least a dozen designs by an ePrey pimp, so I'll leave it at that to protect the identity of the innocent.

Anybody else noticed that currently some ePrey tosser is offering T27s and B110As from some Lenteks Mad.
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not from constructor series, as there are no labels.

i have kept these units from the 1980s as i got them off a hi-fi mate
who had celestions 66 but modified them to have B139s' in them.
so they must be originals from any of those kef speakers, as they
were definately not from ebay.

if i were to use them in the calinda[ replacing the ABR ], would i be
able to use concerto / cantata / cs7 / xovers ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very, very bad idea.

Quote:
if i were to use them in the calinda[ replacing the ABR ], would i be
able to use concerto / cantata / cs7 / xovers

You're plumbing the depths of speaker design here.

Firstly ala Bailey you'll have to find some thick sheets of felt to cover the bass and midrange units so they don't drive each other.

Secondly your going to have to find a friend with the big Celef HE1 or equivalent Proacs that used the SP1054 with the ATC bass unit.
Find a pair of 70's Heathkits that used a SP1014 with a B139 in a similar arrangement to your proposal.
Work out both crossover schematics.

Thirdly get some speaker design software and experiment.

Grafting the bass crossover section of a Cantata or CS7 onto the existing electronics might work, but as the Calinda box is a tad small for the B139 to provide the bass extension that you desire, you'll probably dislike the result.

Why not build a Bassett/Coffin sub instead.

Quote:
a hi-fi mate who had celestions 66 but modified them to have B139s' in them

I wouldn't like to meet him down a dark alley at night Rolling Eyes.
suffolk2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree the B139 will need a bigger box Very Happy

i still like the idea of the isobarik, but that would mean buying
another pair of B139s, and sourcing the other mid and tweeters
and xovers, which is not cost effective when they go for about
£400 on eprey Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: