SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Speakers need a warm up period?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craigb
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Do Speakers need a warm up period? Reply with quote

Just wondering if the resident experts can provide 'technical' confirmation to my theory.

Every time I plug in a pair of KEF's that I have not listened to for a while, my immediate reaction is how shocking the sound is. It appears to be coming out of two boxes not connected and very dull and boring. However after a period of not more than a half an hour I suddenly am no longer listening to the speakers but the music that is now transformed to a complete sound stage.

What is happening here? Is this my ears getting used to the different sound each pair produces? Or is some part of the speakers need time to warm up to produce it's best sound? I'm aware that amplifiers need warm up time so I am thinking that maybe this could be the crossovers that is causing this effect .

I would be very grateful to hear others opinions.
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert, but i think the temperature of the drive units and xovers will perform better when they are running for awhile, like you say with amps or any electronics.

I know if I just turn on my amp and start to play records, they sound terrible for 5-10 mins, after which its fine. This I find less of a problem using my CD player, which sounds fine from turn on.
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried turning it on, play some music, leave the room and after an hour or so start to listen ?

if not let us know how it works out..
Craigb
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is how I decided it was an issue. I was listening to a pair of 103.2's seriously for the first time since I had recently had one of the units repaired, and was thinking why did I bother. I went off for half an hour and came back and the difference was like chalk and cheese. I thought that I had run these in since the repair so discounted that. I then decided to test with some others. The C80s which hadn't been listened to for a few months did exactly the same. Then I tried a pair of Calinda's - exactly the same.

I just gives me more justification to rotate my collection on a regular basis! Tho some are a little too heavy to move on a regular basis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: