SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glynmatthews
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Hello there. This is my first posting so if I sound totally ignorant, that is probably the case!
I've just inherited my Dad's KEF 104's and found one of the tweeters is faulty. I've now got hold of a replacement unit and am unsure how to diconnect the old and replace with the new. There seems to be some sort of sleeve on the old wiring. Is there a push fit connector in there or is it soldered? Do I cut the sleeving off or work it back up the wire - it seems very stiff. Can I replace using plain insulating tape and if so is it merely a case of cutting and soldering in the new or are there any pitfalls to be aware of? Is special solder required, can I reuse what is there or use normal solder? It does seem a little ridiculous to me that in an age of thick multi strand speaker cable that these units are wired in with what appears to be no thicker than bell wire. However - any advice would be much appreciated - in novice terms please.

Many thanks
Glyn
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the speaker on it's back before doing any work.

An egg carton, yoghurt pot, etc should be molested and taped over the replacement tweeter.

A bit of washing up liquid will lubricate the wires and the rubber sleeve should slide out of the way to show a soldered joint.

The wires usually have a couple of twists so desoldering requires the wires to be under tension to "break" the mechanical joint.

The joint has normal snake oil free solder, so any will do, use a 25 Watt iron to make and break the joint.

A bit of heat-shrink wrap would be better than insulating tape.

Look up a wire table on the Internet, the internal wires are thick enough and in later "computerised designs" are part of the design, so the "target function" and voicing my be altered by using man sized cable.

The only place where "man sized cable" is of any use is between the input terminals and the crossover PCB where >90% of the energy inputted is lost.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
glynmatthews
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. All went smoothly! GM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: