SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace T27 with HF1300 for Kef Concertos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeytheo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Replace T27 with HF1300 for Kef Concertos? Reply with quote

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to assist - first post!
I have just bought a pair of vintage Kef Concertos (haven't even picked them up yet!).
They have one T27 tweeter not working. I am in Australia and most of the replacements I can locate are overseas.
Not much of an issue, but someone here in Sydney is selling a pair of Celestion HF1300 tweeters.
Their ad claims a better performance than the Kef T27s.
Now, in your humble opinion, would these make a better replacement than the T27s?
Would they actually perform adequately with the original cross-overs (the Celestions are 16ohm)?
My preference is to keep them all original with T27s, but would consider the HF1300s if they would provide a positive boost.
Cheers!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most KEF-Celestion combinations use 8 Ohm, or multiple dirve units to produce an equivalent value, so you'll have to pinch another model's design.

With the HF1300s being 16 Ohm units you'll have to look at the Spendor BC1 circuit on this page

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vintageBC1.htm

then cost out the crossover using "normal" components.

Adding a ITT/STC/Coles 4001G is essential imho.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: