SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 105/1 Internal Wiring Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastrunner
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: KEF 105/1 Internal Wiring Upgrade Reply with quote

Dear Kef Lovers/Experts
I am hoping someone can suggest what cables (Make and Model) will give noticable improvement on clarity and bass. I am currently using Avondale modified MF 'The Preamp' with 2x Typhoon monos total 150wpc, and Cable Talk Concert 2 speaker cable.
I also heard that ideally the internal wiring should be the same as the external, is this true? I dont really want to try out all sorts of different cables, it has been quite tiring. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Many Thanks
StephenW Confused
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the wire between the power output pcb and output terminals of your Typhoons will be off the same order as that used between the input terminals and crossover pcb of your KEFs.

So a) don't bother or b) replace the 18 inch section of internal wire to the crossover pcb with Cable Talk or el-cheepo 1036 strand from Maplin.

As >95% of input power is "lost" as heat in the crossover only strange people do any additional rewiring.

A nice new set of electrolytics or ~£90 of Solen capacitors will improve the sound of the speakers due to lower series resistances.

Don't hard wire the head or use "audiofool" gold plated fuses normal quick blows to replace the existing components will surffice.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
fastrunner
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: KEF 105.1 Internal Wiring Upgrade Reply with quote

Many thanks for your advise Colin. If I like to make the changes as suggested by you, could you please clarify the following queries;

1) To replace the 18'' section internal wiring, do I need to remove the head in order to get access to the area. Also the crossover pcb is presumbably where the black and red wires connected to.

2) Where can I get this nice set of electrolytics you mentioned and where abouts are they inside the speakers, any ideal how much they are?

3) Is it true that the original type of fuse for the HF is 500ma time delay fuse, and are you suggesting to replace them with 500ma quick blow fuse?

I am so sorry for being so electronically thick, your further advise would be most appreciated.

Regards

StephenW [/b]
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) To replace the 18'' section internal wiring, do I need to remove the head in order to get access to the area. Also the crossover pcb is presumbably where the black and red wires connected to.

Er no the upper head binding posts are bolted through the crossover board.

I was referring to the wire between the input terminals and the bass unit's crossover. You'll have to remove the front panel and bass unit to get access to this.

Quote:
2) Where can I get this nice set of electrolytics you mentioned and where abouts are they inside the speakers, any ideal how much they are?

You have two crossover boards one behind the bass unit near the input terminals, the other extends from the upper input posts and fuses in the head.

Capacitors may be obtained from Falcon Acoustics www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk they'll cost you ~£90.

Quote:
3) Is it true that the original type of fuse for the HF is 500ma time delay fuse, and are you suggesting to replace them with 500ma quick blow fuse?

True but your drive units are getting on and cost rather a lot to repair / replace these days, so a faster fuse will help avoid such expense.

Quote:
I am so sorry for being so electronically thick, your further advise would be most appreciated

No worries but if you have any doubts, stop now, as a large collection of screws and components strewn across a room wont be much use to you.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: