SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kef 104ab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajswinscoe
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: kef 104ab Reply with quote

hi.im trying to build my own speakers.based on kef 104ab.basicly building new cabs and sourcing second hand drive units.ive managed to find a pair t27 tweeters,a pair of sp1022,a pair of sp1014 and 1 only 1039 drive unit.and a pair of abr units and a pair of 104 crossovers.obviously i dont need the sp1014 or sp1022.but do need another sp1039 unit.and wonderd if anybody had one that they may wish to sell or better still swap for any of my unneeded units.also ive discoverd that there is a big difference between the 104 and 104ab crossover.does anybody have any advice on how i can modify my 104 crossovers to the same standard as the ab version.ie. what is required component wise? what order does everything go in?or is it even worth my while.or would i just be better off replacing and upgrading my caps?my cabs are 35inches tall 12inches deep and 10inches wide.the bottom 5 inches or so will be sand filled.if anybody can help me out id be eternaly gratefull.and im new to speaker building and am still trying to make sense of the technical side of it so please forgive me if i seem a little confused by any technical data anybody may have regarding the crossovers. Confused Confused
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: KEF 104aB Reply with quote

your thread so difficult to follow with the lack of upper case font and sporadic use of punctuation.with no spacing between full stops and start with the following sentence reading the text makes my brain hurt very much.grasping your query is a bit of a hard task indeed.why not make it easier for us by putting some effort into the question?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out of the wrong side of the bed Andy?

I thought it was me with the prospect of Stafforshire Areoterrorist Glidershite's open days causing excessive ddisturbance and distress to myself and my elderly neghbours, for whom excessive noise causes cadiovascular and other deleterious physiological effects.

Turning up the music doesn't help either as the areoterroristsr low flying causes mechanical excitation of the bungalow's roof structures.

If you're not glidershite, you're welcome to pop round sometime for a 104/104aB tutorial and an opportunity raid my bits box Surprised .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: GOSH! Reply with quote

Not at all Dear Chap!

I like most of us belong to many forums just get tired of those unwilling to utilise their skills and knowledge of etiquette regarding the Queens English which as it happens is my second language.

I do suffer from mild dyslexia and trying to read mail written by lazy buffoons is a guaranteed to expose my nasty side.

The inability to utilise upper case as and when desired and needed is a cardinal sin, an insult and equivalent to a well aimed anaemic wet fart in a drizzly wet November evening waiting at the bus stop…

The current trend in communication within so many forums is the total disregard for even the most basic attempt at respect for the remaining readership; it to me manifests as rude, selfish, aggressive atypical laziness!

I love this hobby, I always endear myself to those asking for help and advice, but only when they can be bothered to utilise some decorum in their keyboard skills!

I find it totally disrespectful, arrogant, rude and irreverent to behold a cry for help written by what appears to be a lazy chimpanzee!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFF TOPIC! "Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!"

I live a few miles from a local airport, no problem with the noise at all.
Even the amateur aviators at weekends.

The constant thwack, thwack of footballs being kicked by the local army of CHAVS is by far the most annoying noise in these here parts!

We get many helicopters flying to the local Army Camp from Hereford here, not to mention a plethora of Hercules transport aircraft in groups as much as six. A SYMPHONY OF SOUND!

Must do a spectral analysis of the glorious harmonics generated sometime soon.
ajswinscoe

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: kef 104 Reply with quote

I do apologise for my lack of keyboard skills, however I was under the impression that these sites were for enthusiasts with the same interests. I did not post the question to be insulted. I have only just gone on-line and I am still finding my feet.

Many thanks to Colin for your offer of help, greatly appreciated.

Hope this makes better reading for you Andy.
Embarassed
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: KEF 104 Reply with quote

Utterly splendiferous old chap! That's the spirit! Smile
Now, what was the problem?
ajswinscoe

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF 104 Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Utterly splendiferous old chap! That's the spirit! Smile
Now, what was the problem?

Hello Andy. I am building my own speaker cabinets and would like to use the components found in the kef 104ab.Unfortunatly i only have one sp1039 drive unit and a pair of kef 104 crossovers.I wanted to know if anybody had a spare kef sp1039 that they may like to sell or swap for any of my spare kef bits?
Secondly.as ive just mentioned.I have just aquired a pair of kef 104 crossovers and discoverd how different they are to the ab version.and wanted to know if is possible to modify my 104 to the same standard as the ab version? What would be involved etc..
There seems to be a lot more components used in the 104ab crossover compared to the 104 crossover.
Why is that the case? And what do these extra components actualy do?
I joined the forum to try and learn a thing or two about speaker components.
Ill apologise now if the grammer is bad in this post.But i just cant get to grips with this typing buisness. Confused Wink
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: KEF 104 Reply with quote

Greetings & Cordial Felicitations!

There are at least two regular contributors to this fine fettled fantastic forum who are much better qualified at answering your query regarding the 104aB loudspeaker and various variants thereof!

The difference is as far as I know all in the HF T27 section to tame some characteristics of the SP1032 T27 device.

Nothing too complicated and all the answers are on this most excellent site.

I have flirted with different cabinet sizes for the design in the past and had plenty of success as well as failures.

The best was a marriage of two designs incorporating a B110 in the final product; I cheated by getting a real audio engineer design the crossover and other features. It was briefly used in a recording studio in Cheltenham but the T27 was ever so prone to going O/C under these conditions, also upgrading the capacitors was found to be mandatory as the Amcron DC300 was mutilating them by a matter of small internal explosions… Bummer!

I shall PM you (Personal Message) regarding the ABRs in due course, please be patient as I am having a colleagues college reunion over half term which necessitates the consumption of many Single Malt Whiskeys… Just do not go out and spend your hard earned dosh on units just yet.

Bear in mind that the 104aB is not a dB generator and as some of us have found out, and that with caution BIG amplifiers do indeed do these and other KEF series of loudspeakers many favours regarding control, stability and authority!

I’m sure that Colin and the venerable sage Speaker Guru can elucidate to a far greater extent than my ramblings.

Await my communiqué!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: KEF ABRs Reply with quote

Sincerest apologies and a grim warning!

Just to show how dangerous the consumption of Laphroaig & Macallan can be! Shocked

I have PM you regarding the ABRs...
ajswinscoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Kef 104 project Reply with quote

Hi all. My project is comming to an end. Ive only got to make a pair of grills. The speakers sound great. Im very very pleased with them. they look fantastic too. The cab design was down to my cousin. Dave whelan. He has a great talent. For those who are intersted in the build ill give you a short report.
Cabs are 35in tall 12in deep and 10in wide.
constructed from 22mm thick mdf. Front baffle 6mm mdf with drive unit cutouts bonded onto 22mm mdf with circular cutouts. thus creating a recessed baffle. Not perfect but very close. Abr unit doesnt sit totaly flush inside the recess. But as i said its very close
The cabs are sand filled at the bottom adding approx 5kg
They are braced halfway up.
The units are placed as follows. Top b2oo. Centre t27. Bottom b139.
dave and i both love the look of the kef callinda so we went for the same layout.
cabs are finnished in ash real wood vaneer. using 50mm edging vaneer iron on. Its very time consuming to get it right but well worth the effort. And a couple of coats of beeswax to give them a lovely smooth finnish.
Inside the cabs a bitunen dedshete on every pannel. And are padded out with 40mm thick sponge wadding.
They are sat on spikes also.
The drive units i have used are sp1022s. b139 abr units supplied by the very kind proffski and t27 tweeters.
Crossovers are 104 with caps replaced with wilmslow audio supersound polyprop caps. Hopefully though ill be able to upgrade further still to the mighty 104ab crossover.
I will post again soon with a sound report. And if anybody wants any pics send me a pm and ill send you some.
Id also like to take this oppurtunity to say a huge thank you to proffski for going way out of his way to help me.hes given me shed loads of advice, facts and specs. And even a mint pair of b139s. What a star. Very Happy
ajswinscoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: 104 ab project Reply with quote

Ps. Im still struggling to find a single b200 sp1039. I have 1 but need another to make a pair to replace the sp1022s with. As the sp1022s arent really what i want be using in the size of enclosure that i have.
So if anybody has a spare theyd like to sell send me a pm. Youl make a happy man even happier. Very Happy Very Happy
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: KEF 104aB Saga... Reply with quote

I've just found a pair at a friends house.
He may take some persuading, so please do not hold your breath, I'll keep on pestering!
ajswinscoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Kef 104 project Reply with quote

Andy to the rescue again. Thanks. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: