SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damaged KEF Kit3's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Damaged KEF Kit3's Reply with quote

Unfortunately I seem to have seriously damaged my KEF Kit3's, had them for nearly 30 years, think the Kids wound the volume up too much when we were out.

One speaker fine, the other has a fried crossover and damaged T27 (SP1032) dated 12-02-75, and B139 (SP1044), I have replaced the crossovers from Falcon Accoustics, and bought the slightly heavier duty ones, initially I thought it was just the crossover that was damaged as the amplifier has a safety cut out, but on fitting, then discovered the units gone as well.

So the questions have to be, are these repairable, probably not!, does anyone out there have some replacements that they can offer for sale.

Alan

Nr Wells, Somerset
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragic news indeed Alan! All I can say is keep trying Ebay. I have picked up several good bargains there over the last few years. Sadly, KEF stuff of that era more than often commands silly prices. I wold be a shame to get rid of these fine sounding speakers. Just keep looking at ebay. It sometimes is cheaper to pick up cabinets with the units you need, rather than the units alone. The T27 tweeter should be no problem, but you may well pay a premium on the veritable classic the B139 eliptical bass driver. It was wise updating the crossovers, they will make the speakers sound better once you have found replacements. Be warned, a clipping amplifier wil destroy almost any speaker at any rating... Good Luck! Andy.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan
Yes best to keep looking on eBay. It would appear that T27 can sell up to 55GBP, B139 SP1044 can fetch 70GBP and B110 around 85GBP. If you fail to get what you want I am happy to help you search. Just drop me an email (terry@allansonline.com). Also try the second-hand area at Falcon's website. I note that there are B139s there.
Terry
b3rtie
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Know if you are still looking alan but loads of KEF stuff on ebay if you are quick

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=kef&maxrecordsreturned=300&salocatedincountry=3&sosortproperty=1&sorecordsperpage=50&from=R10&BasicSearch=
alan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: All Reply with quote

Many thanks for your kind messages, I took Andy's advice at Christmas and have been watching Ebay closely. Kept missing out at last minute on the pricing, but got a replacement B139 about a month ago, and finally got the T27 this very weekend, cheques going off tomorrow. So hopefully will be fully back up and running in about a week.

Thanks again for all your support and advice. Very Happy

Alan

Nr Wells, Somerset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: