SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JR-149
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: JR-149 Reply with quote

Anybody have the JRs? I have had a set for a couple of years now and just picked up the LPA sub, that is one of the active sub units, Rogers produced. Any suggestions for set up? I am using a Dyna ST70 amp with a Audible Illusions Mod. 3 pre and Lp12/sumiko mmt/ denon dl103 front end.

Thx

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody have the JRs

Yes two pairs Very Happy .

Quote:
Any suggestions for set up

A simple cheap Y-splitter betwen your pre and power, as the subs response was talored to the natural roll off of the JR149 so no messing around was needed.

If you have serious problems I suggest you contact "da man" Graham Hartle directly, jr149@blueyonder.co.uk Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin right now the sub is run from the LPA unit which has a crossover in it as well as an amp to run the sub as a mono unit. The speaker connections go directly to the LPA and are split off to the monitors w/o alteration and then to the LPA to convert to mono and amplified.

Were you suggesting to run the LPA from the pre as opposed to the speaker outs? Would it be enough signal?

Thx

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Were you suggesting to run the LPA from the pre as opposed to the speaker outs? Would it be enough signal

Yup as the subs input sensitivity is up to 3V you should be able to split things and get an acoustic balance to taste.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Colin
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, it didn't work running from the pre outs. The gain was too small. Would have to mods to the LPA to operate like you suggest.

David
Micromegas73
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,

I'm a David myself Wink

I have a pair of JR149 too. Great little speakers ! I don't know the LPA sub, maybe a picture could help...
And the ColinR's suggestion should be a good one too: my pair of JR149 had a "tired" crossover, Graham Hartle made me a new one. The man apparently knows very well the work of Jim Rogers.

see you,

David.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I made the Type 24 crossover myself, using the plans on Graham's site. Cost me nearly the same as Graham's but at least I avoided duties. I made them outboard and also kept the old crossovers and made them outboard as well. The sub makes a big difference in bass reproduction, duuh. Just have to be careful not to crank it up too much.

Here is a link to the LPA system. There was also a passive sub and another active system the EX that could be connected to a pre out, and had a separate 60 watt amp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-JR-149-JR149-subwoofer-with-LPA-amplifier_W0QQitemZ180130515149QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14991QQcmdZViewItem

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it didn't work running from the pre outs. The gain was too small. Would have to mods to the LPA to operate like you sugges

Sorry about that, but with the three outputs on my my Quad 44s I generally just have to attenuate to fiddle such arrangements.

Now an alternative would be to run a your tape output into the line input of a small mixer, output to sub.
The alternative alternative is find a cheap working amplifier or receiver in a charity/thrift shop to insert into your tape loop. Fiddle to taste.
The final alternative alternative alternative is to find and ADC Soundshaper equalizer or similar that offers unity gain on it's ins and outs.

Last edited by ColinR on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Colin.

The JR literature indicates that the LPA runs the JR149s throughout their range, that is w/o any frequency shaping. the LF signal is supposedly taken from the speakers from the amp, and extracted for the sub, which is driven by the LPA amp.

Yes I could run another amp into the LPA from my Pre and run my ST70 directly from the pre as well, or

Just look for a sub amp with a line in feature. I have some spare integrateds around that I can play with to see if there is any difference.

I take it you are suggesting the signal would be cleaner for both sub and satellites w/o having to pass both through the LPA.

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
take it you are suggesting the signal would be cleaner for both sub and satellites w/o having to pass both through the LPA

Yup.
I've never been enamoured of the LPA / JR149 combination, it imho always sounds much better if you keep things apart and fiddle about just a little.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Colin,

Will be easy to give it a go. The theory that the original signal can go to the satellites w/o any changes, but that the LF can be channelled off sounds too good to be true.

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
theory that the original signal can go to the satellites w/o any changes, but that the LF can be channelled off sounds too good to be true

Agreed and knowing something of Jim Rogers character especially his aversion to spending money and always trying to do things on the cheap.

The LPA amplifier is workmanlike (apparently it's not a stripped down Cadet or Panthera in production versions), but not refined and the JR149s can do refined really well when given the chance, so why not give them that chance?

Have fun Very Happy .

Last edited by ColinR on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Micromegas73
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
David, I made the Type 24 crossover myself, using the plans on Graham's site. Cost me nearly the same as Graham's but at least I avoided duties. I made them outboard and also kept the old crossovers and made them outboard as well. The sub makes a big difference in bass reproduction, duuh. Just have to be careful not to crank it up too much.

Here is a link to the LPA system. There was also a passive sub and another active system the EX that could be connected to a pre out, and had a separate 60 watt amp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-JR-149-JR149-subwoofer-with-LPA-amplifier_W0QQitemZ180130515149QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14991QQcmdZViewItem

David

Congratulations ! My type 24 crossovers were made by Graham Hartle, i'm unfortunately unable to make them by myself. I also kept the old crossover, but what do you call "outboard" ? i'm not sure to understand.

Concerning the sub, i don't know it, but i believe those loudspeakers are very musical and works quite well without any subwoofer. In my (little) experience, a subwoofer is always a difficult thing to settle properly in order to make a system sing. Tell us how the whole thing sounds if you solve your connections issues (if i understood correctly what you were talking about with ColinR).

Anyway, this sub has a decorative value in my opinion and can easily be recycled Wink
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outboard means that they are in a separate box, outside the enclosure.

I separated the satellites and sub last night as per Colin's suggestion and the change was remarkable. A lot more detail from the satellites.

Thank you Colin.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: