SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HiFi News 1974 design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjaj
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: HiFi News 1974 design Reply with quote

Does anyone remember a fairly massive design published in HiFi News in 1974 (April?) which used a B139, B110, T27 and a Coles supertweeter? It was two infinite baffel (sealed boxes) in one box about 4ft high, 1 ft wide and some 18 inches deep and lined with cement rendering.
I built a pair of these at the time, but she-who-must-be-obeyed "suggested" I sell them when we moved house about 15 years ago Crying or Very sad .
I think I still have the article somewhere, if anyone is interested I will try to look it out and scan it in.
They were magnificent with organ music, and when a friend bought his new Quad "brick" (404?) round it was the Quad that started to smoke Shocked before the speakers showed any distress.
I have just bought a pair of B139s on eBay (£84+P&P) and will probably make myself a "coffin" from them.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested in seeing the article. I remember the HiFi Answers Transmission Line Design which used a B139, B110, T27 and the Coles Super Tweeter. Of course a number of such designs were about at that time.
Terry
pjaj
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a preliminary search, but I can't put my hands on it for the moment. I'm sure it's in a safe place - somewhere.
However I did come across the following clipped articles:

"The Basset" by Trevor Attwell Parts 1-3 HFN&RR June-August 1978. A sort of folded horn design sub woofer which used 4 off Elac Type 8NC/185. BUT the article states that you could substitute B139s (pair?) to get more power.

"High quality book-shelf speaker" by J.H.Wilkinson Wireless World October 1977. An infinite baffel design using B200 + T15

"A Hexagon Double-bass" by E.J.Jordan HFN&RR April 1979 using an array of his own companies 50 & 100mm units.

"A 'mini-line' Transmission Line" by P.Atkinson HFN&RR November 1978. A small transmissin line design using a B110 and an Isophon KK8. Interesting as it could be by the same author as my 1974 design and has the same proportions, but about half the size. quote "The mini-line and the maxi-line side by side. The latter is almost identical dimensions to the State of the Art but totally differnt internals." I'm pretty sure that the 1974 design was "The state of the art".

A 4 part article "A versatile Active Crossover" by Ben Duncan. HFN&RR Feb - May 1981.

"A simple, effective Crossover Network" by C.J.Brain. HFN&RR 1980

If any of these are of interest I could try to get them coppied or scanned.[/list]
jnash
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I know the date, but I have a Hi-Fi Answers reprint of a transmission line monitor based on the specs you describe by CJ Rogers.
I can mail a copy to you if you would like it.
The speakers I have are very similair to this design and sold by a company called "Badger"? something?? and advertized in the back of the UK mags back in the late eighties. Now thats a reprent I'm searching for!
Let me know if you are interested in buying my speakers. They are in perfect working order and recently overhauled.
I now live in Texas!

(Yes, her in doors is begging me to release them!)
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjaj wrote:
"The Basset" by Trevor Attwell Parts 1-3 HFN&RR June-August 1978.

"High quality book-shelf speaker" by J.H.Wilkinson Wireless World October 1977.

"A 'mini-line' Transmission Line" by P.Atkinson HFN&RR November 1978.

Many thanks. I would certainly be most interested in seeing copies of the above.

Terry
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnash wrote:
I have a Hi-Fi Answers reprint of a transmission line monitor based on the specs you describe by CJ Rogers.

I would be deighted to see a copy of the above.

Thanks

Terry (terry@allansonline.com)
jnash
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Terry,
I just emailed you two scanned pics of the Hi-Fi Answers design.
Hope it works out.
Jim
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnash wrote:
Ok Terry,
I just emailed you two scanned pics of the Hi-Fi Answers design.
Hope it works out.
Jim

Thanks Jim
Much appreciated.
Terry
pjaj
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry,

Since there are quite a lot of pages involved, and I only have 56K modem connection, I have suggested that I send scanned images of the articles on a CD to the web site and they could be put up there for anyone who wants to download them. Watch this space.

Peter.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjaj wrote:
terry,

Since there are quite a lot of pages involved, and I only have 56K modem connection, I have suggested that I send scanned images of the articles on a CD to the web site and they could be put up there for anyone who wants to download them. Watch this space.

Peter.

Peter

CD would probably be best if you don't mind. I will also have to check with the publishers first before putting them onto the website. I don't want to run into problems with copyright and so on. Everything I have on the website so far has had clearance.
I much appreciate your interest and your kind offer to provide the copies.
My mail is not 'sending' just now and so I have about a dozen emails waiting for the server to behave. I am however receiving emails.

Terry
clive
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have aquired a set of AMW Acoustic labs speakers with model no. A440 serial no. 1046L they seem similar to the item under discussion, they use the kef b139 [1044sp] ; b110 [sp1003]; a danish peerless 1" paper tweeter [no details looking very sad] and 20mm dome tweeter with made in england no details. They are also using a handmade crossover and handwound inductors in the crossover [all spray painted black so values are unviewable] . They sound flat and tweeterless the kef drivers are dated 1975. I guess the first thing to try is new tweeters any suggestions appreciated. I did have to drill and jigsaw the rear of 1 unit to get access and the boxes while still stong and repairable has baddly chipped exterior venner. The boxe measures internally 700mm height ; 385mm wide and 240mm deep a gross volume of 64 liters less 190mm [10mm wall ] cardboard tube for mid range 7 liters] also less crossover and bracing for net say 55 liters . Less than ideal for bass units from reading should I remove cardboard tube or bit the bullet and build a bigger box?
Any help appreciated Idea
pjaj
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Clive, from your description, the rechnical term for your speakers in their current condition is "b*gg*r*d". On the bright side, you already have two of the most expensive bits of sa speaker. IMHO you should cut your losses and start anew. There are many designs that use the B139 and B110 together with new tweeters. As has been said in other posts to this forum, Falcon, http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/ , is a good place to start. Depending on your woodworking skills, you could either start from scratch or buy a kit with ready cut panels.
clive
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pjaj for link and terry for providing this forum Smile
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive
Probably the simplest design could be based on the KefKit3. But as said above you have the basic elements to make a range of speakers.
Terry

Last edited by terry on Fri May 07, 2004 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
clive
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, The kefkit 3 is probably the simplest way with known results I was going to try Vifa D26 as tweeters and measure the existing crossover to see if any problems , if so it's probably capacitors which are easily replaced. I am tempted by the fiddler inside, to do what I wanted to do in the 80s but was a poor student, and had no money. Which was a 400 / 600mm or so diameter steel reoed concrete pipe cut to length for ideal volume 20mm ply wood ends and lay as coffin on spikes with upholstery padding on top of pipe and upholserty material velcoed [ to adjust for my poor sewing] around all but ends. Probably do one and compare to thebest current box with new tweeter and cross over checked. Any comments appreciated.
Clive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: