SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plan for a cabinet for B200 T27 DN 13 SP 1106

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Plan for a cabinet for B200 T27 DN 13 SP 1106 Reply with quote

Hello
I am new to this forum, and as I have not found what was looking for I now write. I have a problem:
twenty-five years ago a friend of my young son destroyed the cone of my loudspeaker and I bought two B 200 T 27 DN 13 SP 1106 and fitted everything to the old cabinets with a new front plate. The people where I bought everything had no loudspeaker-plan, therefore I used the cabinet of the destroyed loudspeakers. As I was never sure if it was the best possible cabinet, I now want to build a cabinet just for those drive units. My wish does anyone have a plan for a cabinet for those units, woodwork is no problem for me as I nearly build all furniture myself.
Thank you for the help
Manfred
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans on this site

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Articles/ArticlesGallery/WWBookshelf/index.htm

Ignore the drive units used and the electronics, just build the box.

Elsewhere on the internurd

Bottom of Page 4

http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/ Chorale Cabinet Upgrade Sheet.

This shows the dimensions of the KK1 box plus an additional cavity resonator.

My house Very Happy

A Swiss chap is building a pair of Tangent TM1's from here

http://www.thunders.ca/tangent/tm1.php

plus a few more dimensions from me Wink .

I have a (rather good) pair of transmission lines which you can have photographs of with the positions of the dividers maked, if you're really good at woodwork Smile .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Manfred
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colin thanks for the help, I still have some questions, is the position of the speakers really so important, on the chorale the T 27 is more to one side, on Tangent they are in the middle of the front baffle, has the TM 1 a better bass then the TM 3, what pair of transmission lines do you have please send a photo.
Thanks Manfred
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the position of a tweeter next to a bass unit, for the best polar plots as close as possible (or coincident) is the best practice.

KEF Chorales were volume products so a “handed” product would involve more equipment, time and cost.

Tangents were more upmarket so an inline arrangement was produced.

The TM1 provides a couple of bottom octaves more than the TM3, but both have pinpoint imagery.

Photo sent Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Manfred
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: B200 T227 Cabinet Reply with quote

I am interested in the TM3, I think bass performance is a bit overvalued today.
Could you please give me some more information on the TM3 and what are the best stands for this loudspeaker?
Thank you for your help
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job done Very Happy .
Manfred
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: B200 T227 Cabinet Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your information and the photos. I decided in favour of the TM3's because they have such a small front baffle area, the others were wider with a lot of frontal area. I have some more questions, what are dampsheet panels, is it a good idea if I take instead of chipboard, 2" multiplex wood (this is a bit similar to plywood but a lot more dens it is used on construction sites for the boarding of exposed concrete) and if I don't use a grille, I want a flat front surface with rounded edges, can I use my KEF dividing network DN 13 SP 1106?
My amplifier is dying and I have to buy a new one what would you propose for these loudspeakers, I have a Thorens TD 150/II a NAD 5440 and an Uher Report
Thanks for your help
Manfred
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedshete is the trade name for self-adhesive bitumen damping panels.

You can pay over the odds for this material if you look in the "wrong" place; kit-car and car customiser automotive suppliers is a "better" place to start looking Wink .

2" thick panels may be as dead, I would be if I tried to lift them Smile .

Try the SP1106, if it works fine if not build a copy of the Tangent circuit or buy one from www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk with an aB tweeter section.

I don't know much about the German secondhand market but a >50 Watt rms amplifier will work well with the design.

Last edited by ColinR on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Manfred
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: B200 T227 Cabinet Reply with quote

Sorry it was 1" thick panels, now I know those dampsheet panels I used them to make my Mini a bit more quiet. When the loudspeakers are ready I will send some photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: