SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 107 1 KUBE UPGRADE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laemmle
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention front channel speckers........back in 1986 I purchased the first commercial ss system......the Yamaha DSP-1 with the M35 surround four channel amp. If you look at the pictures that Parts posted for me you will see some of the corners in my living room where my C-10 KEF speakers are attached to the corners of the room via Privitelli hangers.

Lp reproduction is fabulous! I have a very rare Marantz SX-72 scratch noise supressor....it works in the digital domain...I had to have it shipped to me from Holland as Marantz USA did not and would not carry this SKU in their inventory. You would be amazed at it's ability to fool the brain into believing that there are zero scratches! And it is adjustable to deal with minor and or major Lp damage!.

Yes, I am an Audiophile in bliss!......Plus it hit 80 degrees in NYC today....what a day for the Pope to visit!
wijuma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: R107 KUBE upgrade Reply with quote

Thank you Brian for your informative post concerning your KUBE upgrade. I am a new member here and also the fortunate owner of a wonderful pair of R107's, #2883. I was encouraged to redo my KUBE after reading the various posts here. Thank you. I've been listening to my KEFs for about 4 days now after replacing 6 capacitors and the 8 opamps. After much reading and guess work I decided on the BB2134 instead of the BB2604 as the latter was scarce and 4 times the cost of the 2134. It went without problems, solder wick is the thing to use. The sound is very noticeably different, in a mostly good way. Brighter, more detail, smoother frequency response from top to bottom, even more bass. On a few very bright highly produced CDs the sound can almost get to bright. On the vast majority of my CDs the improvement is nothing but excellent. Smooth yet more detail, very musical. I would highly recommend to anyone contemplating a tweeter replacement in these glorious speakers to first give this relatively simple inexpensive upgrade a try. The opamps aren't BBs anymore as TI bought them out. I would gladly hear from anyone else that has gone this route with perhaps different opamps. Regards.
O'Shag
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wijuma. My 107s are serial #002383. This is very intriguing about changing the opamps in the KUBE, although I like the sound a lot as-is. I find that the 107 picks up things that other speakers will miss. For my ears, they are very engaging and have the ability to convey the essence of the recording effectively - especially Jazz and unamplified instruments, which they do better than many other speakers I've heard. I'll have to give the KUBE upgrade a try...
brickx
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good te hear you had good results with the KUBE upgrade Wijuma; I knew it for myself of course, but it's always a nice confirmation when someone else enjoys the same results.
Even though the highs are much better, in a while when I have the means (dough), I want to find a good sollution for the tweeters; I still miss some 'air' and 'presence' in voices.
And I still wonder if upgrading the crossovers with fresh components (although a tricky business according to some) would bring an improvement.
Once done I will keep you.....posted!
Grtz, Brian.
wijuma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:
they are very engaging and have the ability to convey the essence of the recording effectively - ...

That pretty much says it. I find myself listening to entire CD's or record albums. They can emotionally engage the listener.

Brickx wrote:
want to find a good sollution for the tweeters; I still miss some 'air' and 'presence' in voices...

I'd be curious to know what source, preamp, and power you are using for the 107's. I find the high end and presence performance to be really superb, the jazz voices are the best I've heard so it's hard for me to imagine what would be lacking.

Thanks for the responses and all the good info!
wijuma
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickx,
I meant to ask you, have you changed any of the caps in the Xover network in the bass cabinet of the 107's?

It is amazing to me that there are so many xovers in these units. One for each speaker type and an active Kube. So far I've only done the Kube but I'm tempted to do the ones underneath the top of the bass cabinets next.

I'll include a pic. If anyone has knowledge or experience with this I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Regards, Bill

brickx
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi wijuma,

sorry for taking such a long time to answer you questions; vacations, and having to make a choice between the woman and 107's, and the 107's won (just kidding).
As i wrote earlier, the 107's are hooked to a modified quad 405&44, with a SlimDevices musicserver and Xindak external tube dac.
And although the mod quads are very good, I decided to replace some transistors with top quality ones, because I had them laying around anyway after working on a q303 project with my son.
I was once again in for a great surprise, hearing much better definition and dynamics in the high region. And of course makes me wonder what the effect will be of replacing my already good opamps with top notch stuff.
The 405 really swings with the 107's, it sounds like they were made for each other. The dual mono power supply really gave the 405 serene power. If you are interested you might want to have a look at the quad blog: http://quadrevisionspot.blogspot.com/
Stefaan is very dedicated and helpful, and advised me on the Kube.

I haven't tried anything with the crossovers (yet). I think that will come later; I still have improvements to make on power supply, tweeter, and I got enthousiastic about internal rewiring after reading the topic.
So there's enough to do. But of course I would enjoy a detailed story from a forum member who has done an upgrade of the X-over and found it an immense improvement!

I'll add some pictures to the link I posted earlier in this topic (I actually can't figure out how to insert images linea recta Embarassed ).

I'll keep you posted about new developments.

Brian.
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a Kube 200, which seems to be very similar to the Kube 107/2: Two contour knobs (Low and High), Extend/bypass position, tape/monitor position. Is the Kube 200 matched with my 105/2, probably not. Do I care? Not. But I will still use it at lower listening level to raise the dynamic of low end bass, which is absorbed by my conctrete w/ carpeting floor, and it does a great job at that. BTW My unit is in very good shape, even though the power supply had a change of DIN connector and wall plug.

I opened it yesterday, to find eight ICs. I will investigate to see if they can be changed for higher quality parts.
Evo 105/2 - in the build
geoffwood
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: KUBE 107 Reply with quote

Anybody got KUBE 107 (internal) setup instructions. Also, what is 3rd unlabelled set of presets for ?

geoff
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still pondering where and how to go about building a Balanced Kube but I aint got that much skill.

If I had the money I would probably go with a Tact 2.2X LOL Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: