SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eyelets and Rubber Grommets for decoupling speaker drivers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Eyelets and Rubber Grommets for decoupling speaker drivers? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am after some metal eyelets and rubber grommets for decoupling speaker drivers from cabinets (and also to decoupling hard drives in the computer).

This is the sort of thing Kef used to do years back, the eyelets Kef use are quite tough and seem to be made of steel. The mounting hole in the B110 type midrange is slightly larger to accommodate a rubber grommet, the eyelet is inserted from behind into the centre of this grommet, and the mounting bolts tighten the grommet against the cabinet, leaving the driver decoupled but sealed.

Does anyone know what I am on about and have any idea where I can purchase such items? I think the mounting bolts are M4 or M3 but not sure?

Thanks,
Steve
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get 4mm steel eylets from your local sewing emporium.

M4 bolts from your bolt supplier (Screwfix?) for B110B, M3.5 were used for B200G.

Grommets from an automotive bearing, o-ring, rubber belt, bush supplier so you can squeeze before you buy and take a pattern. Most are too hard if you buy from RS, Farnell, Maplin, etc.

I bleated at KEF some years ago and got 20 of the proper B110B rubber bits, dunno where the envelopes gone though Sad .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know exactly what "you're on about" Wink .

I can confirm that the screws were M4. The eyelets were what you might find in a haberdashery. They were not magnetic so were most likely plated brass. KEF used to buy the grommets from RS. At that time they were the very soft PVC type (not rubber).

Happy hunting.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Thankyou for the sewing/haberdashery tips guys I got suitable eyelets.

Still to get the grommets but now have a bit of an idea what I'm looking for.

Black full thread M4 bolts with allen key heads I have not found yet. Would like these for all the drivers including the four bass drivers of the Kef R105.4.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: