SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiolab 8000A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enforcer501
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Audiolab 8000A Reply with quote

I have acquired an old Audiolab 8000A - a sublime amp for most speakers - which is displaying a very odd problem. Once turned off, it will not produce music (even though the power light comes on) if turned on again within 5-6 hours. Anyone got an explaination? Very Happy
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it excessively hot to the touch? Does it have to cool down for 5-6 hours (as you have a long listening session?)

Could be a circuit breaker or something like that. On the other hand, I have trouble using electricity to boil water so don't listen to me.... Confused
enforcer501
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary, the odd thing is that the same situation happens if I have the amp on for 5 mins or a few hours. Amp works as normal, cool to the touch even after a few hours use. If it wasn't for the fact that this is such a lovely amp at driving my kefs and rogers (better than Musical Fidelity A1, Naim Nait1, Mission Cyrus, NAD320) , I would not have put up with this irritating problem.

Kim
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 8000A has an ouptut relay to protect speakers under any dc fault conditions. This has been known to sticky after 10+ years, so it could be something to match your symptoms. Audiolab used Omron, Finder, Matshushita, Double Pole Changeover 24V 5A per contact, pcb mounted.

If the relay is fine maybe some other part of the circuit is causing dc drift causing the relay to prevent output?

I agree the audiolab circuit is a very revealing and clean sounding amp with great stereo image and depth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: