SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I connect Kef Kube 102 to my amp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejames007
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: How do I connect Kef Kube 102 to my amp? Reply with quote

Hi everyone Laughing, I have recently purchase a Kef Kube102; I have not received any manuals and was wondering if any one could offer advice as to how to connect to my amp. Any assistance in this matter would be very much apprecaited Rolling Eyes I have been total that the kube will also effect the mid range? kind regards ej
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat any KEF Kube as if it were a tape recorder.

So connect the Kube "outs" to the tape "ins" and the "ins" to the tape "outs".

If your amplifier/reciever does not have a tape monitor facility you're not quite knackered.

You're then limited to splitable pre-power sections treating the Kube as a graphic equalizer (sic) and you'll have to hope the pre output does not overload the Kube's input. If it does you'll have to start playing with inline attenuators.

If you don't have a tape monitor switch or splitable pre/power sections you're knackered until you get another amplifier with a tape monitor facility.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

Last edited by ColinR on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ejames007
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am using kenwood KA-5050r. I not sure if it has a tap monitor? The system connections has the facility to connect 2 DAT or cassette decks and 1 Graphic equalizer or cassette deck. So I assume that I should connect the Kube "outs" to the ADPT/TAPE 3 key "ins" and the "ins" of the ADPT/TAPE 3 key "outs" of the Kube?

Do I now connect the CD player in/outs to the signal in/outs on the back of Kube?

I don't understand the statement "You're then limited to splitable pre-power sections treating the Kube as a graphic equalizer (sic) and you'll have to hope the pre output does not overload the Kube's input. If it does you'll have to start playing with inline attenuators" Am i risking damaging my amp? Confused

sorry if i seem a bit thick

kind regards

eddie
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing the KA-5050R myself you'll have to read it's instructions.
In general you would connect the Kube to whichever tape loop allows tape/source monitoring (for a three head tape deck) and your CD to the Kenwood's CD input.

Quote:
don't understand the statement "You're then limited to splitable pre-power sections treating the Kube as a graphic equalizer (sic) and you'll have to hope the pre output does not overload the Kube's input. If it does you'll have to start playing with inline attenuators"

Some modern intergrated amplifiers still have two metal jumpers between sockets marked pre out main in, so the Kube could be inserted there.

The problem lies in the output of the pre amplifier 300mV, 0.5V, 0.775V, 1.6V, 2.0V, 5V or 10V. Some (the lower values) will work with a Kube others will overload it.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first; do you have KEF Model 102 speakers?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Teat any KEF Kube as if it were a tape recorder.

Suck it to me? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ejames007
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
First things first; do you have KEF Model 102 speakers?

No I have the Kef 103/4 which would normally use the kef kube 200. will that be a pronlem?
ejames007
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="speakerguru"]
ColinR wrote:
Teat any KEF Kube as if it were a tape recorder.

I just don't understand the priciple, the amp allow the use of a graphic equalizer. can i not just use the kube an an graphic equalizer and connect the cd via the kube source in and out to the amplifier?
ejames007
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a maual that i could get a copy of?
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most KEF Kubes have specific mid eq and bass correction for specific models. They cannot be used with any other model without gross frequency response errors.

KEF Kube 100 and Kube 200 were the only exceptions. I'm sure it's explained more fully elsewhere on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: