SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Corelli B-200 1063

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Help with Corelli B-200 1063 Reply with quote

I have been fortunate enough to procure and listen with one ear to set of Corellis .... one ear because one of the B-200 SP 1063's had been swapped to an SP 1014. I had no chance to listen or check before taking them.
I wanted to cry! In fact, I did. They were a matched pair, have been otherwise unmolested with immaculate T-27's and not too bad cabinets.
The 1014 adorned side definitely has a different "voice".
Can anyone, anywhere recommend a possible source for an SP 1063?
I see a half million 1014's on the worldwide prey-ers site, but nary a one 1063. Is there any sense in putting a 1014 in the other cabinet? I don't think they are going to sound as a Corelli set should ... but what are my options?
And suggestions would be appreciated.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP1063 was identical to the earlier SP1014 except for the rubber surround. The change in rubber type produced a smoother on axis response in the midrange region.
I had thought that the SP1063 was later sold seperately as one of the "constructor series" units but I was wrong. When I checked my old data sheets I found it was the SP1014 which was sold as a B200A. So, not very likely you'll find a spare 1063 Crying or Very sad
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guru. Big Sigh. I can certainly Feel the difference in the 2 drivers ... the 1063 is much stiffer. I'm a bit suprised ... I thought the 1063 was an aluminum voice coil, but not the 1014 (?).
Alas. If I cannot find a 1063 I suppose my only alternative is replacing it with another 1014 so the sides at least match. Do you think the crossover is suited to the 1014 drivers?
I don't suppose there is an "after market" surround that could be fitted to the 1014 to get it closer to the 1063?
If there's Anyone else in the community that knows of a lonely 1063 in need of a good home ... please let me know.
Email:
robert.chiyoko@gmail.com
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, aluminium former..........yes, you may well be right. I can't remember for sure. It's been a long time.

Anyway, although the aluminium former will affect the mechanical Q, and hence the impedance of the driver around resonance, higher up, near the XO frequency, the effect on the impedance will be small. So the Corelli XO should produce substantially the same transfer function with a 1014.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guru. Now that I've had a chance to do so some serious listening toggling the balance to and fro I can say that the 1063 indeed exhibits a much improved midrange over the 1014.
This presents me with quite a dilemma, knowing how wonderful they were designed to be I'll find it difficult to expend further resources just to make them "something else".
I suppose I can just keep them for their T-27's ... as spares should any of the others in the collection need them. But, it would break my heart to break them into bits.
I'll have to hope and pray that someone out there has a 1063 in need of a home, perhaps a damaged set of Corelli's with cooked tweeters.
Does anyone know of another model Kef (or others) used the 1063 in that I should keep an eye for?
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Kef Gods have smiled down upon me with an ebay listing in the UK for a single unit in OK condition. Soon as it makes the journey to me here in Canada, in she goes along with a complete overhaul of the crossovers.
Thanks to all who have tried to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: