SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 103.2 Crossover upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a weird one.
Shorting the resistor removes the problem as does removing it.

Looks like the S-Stop gubbins has thrown a wobbly!
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:

It sounds more and more like a problem with the relay contacts. After all these years who knows what the state of the relay contacts might be. The contacts are most likely oxidized and have probably been disturbed and cleaned by movement during the act of removing the resistor. The contacts are normally closed and thereby short the resistor. When the S-Stop triggers it opens the contacts and the resistor is then in series with the speaker. If shorting the resistor makes a difference to the sound then the relay contacts must be high resistance Q.E.D.
hef
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
This is a weird one.

Yeah, I thought it seemed a little strange.
I've decided that I'm gonna hunt down all the parts to do a complete rebuild of the crossovers anyway, so I'll just enjoy the fact that it works for now until I manage to find those elusive 4.2uF caps. Nobody around my area seems to carry them.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.2µF Capacitors.

What is their physical size in mm?
I just may have some quality ones in my workshop, you may have to pad them out with a smaller value to make up the 4.2µF, but there is nothing wrong with that as long as there is space on the PCB.
Are they 5% tolerance or better?
tancrède
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------
Hi friends

How can i test the protection circuit of 103.2 without explosing the speakers ?????

Tancrède
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially you're asking for the circuit diagram with component values or if someone has "reverse engineered" the circuit and determined the current and over voltage conditions for operation.

I suspect a very emphatic NO!

The best you can do is get some 8 Ohm 17W or 20W resistors to replace the drive units and come up with some scheme where you can play something loud and horrible or test tones at measurable levels to get the S-STOPs to operate without blowing them up.

Hope this translates Smile .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
hef
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well, I'm back, and I bring good news.
I bought a pair of NOS KEF sp1144 crossovers Very Happy still in their original packaging!

Seriously.

They arrived yesterday while I was at work and since i was free today I installed the first into the damaged cab.
All was good, so I went ahead and installed the second one into the working cab.

All is still good. Awesome in fact.

After installing the second network I noticed something. The low end of both speakers has lost a little (really little) of the kick it had originally.
As I was sitting here listening with the old crossovers in my lap I noticed something I didn't notice when I first posted here and had to come back to check... and I was right...

The original crossovers in these speakers are different to both the circuit diagram posted by colin in the crossovers section AND from the NOS service parts I have just installed in two ways, the second of which is probably more important.

1. The NOS circuits use ALCAP capacitors which are a nice shiny blue colour whereas the originals use slightly bigger black ELCAP capacitors. I dont know enough about either to know how this may affect their performance but I didn't think it would make them significantly different.

2. As discussed at the beginning of this thread, the NOS networks have two big bad ass 300mfd caps wired parallel in series with the woofer in the exact same place as my original networks had a bunch of slightly less bad ass caps in series, HOWEVER, the bunch of caps in my original units DO NOT add up to 600mfd. There are three 150mfd and one 100mfd, making only 550mfd in series with the woofer.

Top left corner.

What do you guys think about that?
Think either of those would cause me to lose a little of the low end beef from these cabs and should I bother rectifying the problem since it's not that outrageous a difference (it's nothing EQ can't fix)?

Also, do crossovers require/have any sort of burn in/warm up time before they reach their optimum performance? Heh, that's probably a pretty stupid question.

Cheers.

EDIT - Also, I should say, thankyou very much for your kind offer profski. Had I been back in the meantime I would probably have taken you up on that, but it's all good now.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF used to buy in all the capacitors at +/-10% or sometimes +/-20%. Then they would measure them all in-house and sort them into 1% bins. If I remember correctly, any parallel combinations would always be sorted to end up with a less than than 0.5dB effect on the response (0.3dB Reference series). In other places the inductors would be wound to compensate. i.e if the capacitor was -6% the inductor would be wound +5% or whatever the calculation predicted would minimise the drift from nominal. All of which is a long way of saying I bet your 300+300 measures pretty much the same as your 150+150+150+100.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: