SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celef speaker with FOUR Kef B110's !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
Well, at least the port on the back does to me look like the usual black painted straws...

I have put my ear to the "port" and must admit I cant hear (or feel) anything ??? Normally I can hear the lowest bass notes ???
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:

Any chance of some photographs of the rear of units showing dates, model numbers etc?
Would be much appreciated.
Especially the early 'ATC'...

Errr..... might be a while before I get the livingroom to myself to be able to do that !!!
But watch this space for updates !!!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Oh Darn! Crying or Very sad
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, at least the port on the back does to me look like the usual black painted straws...

I have put my ear to the "port" and must admit I cant hear (or feel) anything ??? Normally I can hear the lowest bass notes ???

1. They look very much like Woolworths stripy straws in the picture of the resistive port.

2. Perhaps they're full of fluff, so a blast of best quality of RS Components tinned air might lead to you hearing a slight rumble.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ColinR"]
Quote:

2. Perhaps they're full of fluff, so a blast of best quality of RS Components tinned air might lead to you hearing a slight rumble.

I love the tongue in cheek humour Colin, does the quality of the dust remover have a direct influence in the sound quality?
Is it directional? Wink
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does the quality of the dust remover have a direct influence in the sound quality?
Is it directional?

Very Happy blowing Southerly?

I'm sure I said RS not Russ Andrews Rolling Eyes .

Chinese tinned air is not recommended as it might melt the straws.

Seriously though you will only hear a rumble not audible bass notes due to the effective surface area of the four B110s.

If all else fails it's going to have to strips of loo roll and a 40Hz test tone in a darkened locked room Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Andrews, nobody understands their laws of physics.
But they sure understand their bank balance... Surprised £££$$$!
Jonathan B right
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, I know its a year since this thread was active. I was just "surfing" and was intrigued by your initial post.
Two things (i) the 8" unit does look like an Audax and (ii) is it just possible that the boxes are homemade diy units and some wag has put Celef badges on them? A sort of hoax......

They look nothing like the Celefs I'm familiar with. They could be a rare prototype I suppose.

Thanks for the interesting puzzle. Jonathan
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not into audio at the moment as a member of the local bullies and hooligans (Staffordshire Gliding) club has just managed to break a fundamental air navigation order six times in row.
Looping the loop is an areobatic manoeuvre is it not?
Rule 46; areobatics are not permitted.
They are (with draconian conditions attached to the permit) in close proximity to an airfield at an organised air-show, but not on a Saturday afternoon a mile from a grass strip in close proximity to a congested area (village) and above someone's house!

However Very Happy , I know of four (including mine) different evolutionary configurations of the bespoke and expensive Celef Studio Professional Monitors and the configuration and cabinet size are all consistent with the later replacement of the four B110s by an ATC unit; the Audax unit in turn being replaced by a KEF SP1054.
S. Tyler had a hand in the production of all the 20 odd pairs of each design, hence the SPT serial numbers.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, tell Lefty to come home. Now.

Thanks.

(What's Gary talking about? That sounds like Lefty, a WW2 vet that STILL has his commercial pilot's license. Sorry - I'm sure it can't be the same guy. )
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:

However Very Happy , I know of four (including mine) different evolutionary configurations of the bespoke and expensive Celef Studio Professional Monitors and the configuration and cabinet size are all consistent with the later replacement of the four B110s by an ATC unit; the Audax unit in turn being replaced by a KEF SP1054.
S. Tyler had a hand in the production of all the 20 odd pairs of each design, hence the SPT serial numbers.

Its been a while since I started this thread, and, TBH, I'm not that much more enlightened. I have found, however, that the mid range are probably not ATC but Audax, and, as Colin has found, there are other incarnations of this model using different drivers in the same cabinet. I have posted some more photos on my photobucket site (link as posted before) which shows the inside of the cabinets and the rear of the drivers. They are not good quality as they were taken with my mobile phone, but hopefully they are good enough to get the details.
Colin, do yours have the B139 instead of the B110's, with the same arrangement for mid and treble? I saw a pair like this come up on fleabay last year.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do yours have the B139 instead of the B110's, with the same arrangement for mid and treble

That's the beast, Audax 8" midrange, Audax Tweeter, KEF B139 with a customised Falcon crossover.

Falcon made all the Celef crossovers, but some designs had further customisation so the physical units don't exactly match the "known" circuits Razz .

As an aside Mr Tyler does ring up owners of the "rarer" designs should they try to sell them asking, why?

So you could always leave a message for him at Proac with a contact number Shocked .

You never know Very Happy .
pete the bus
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely won't be moving these on! Although rather large for my room, they're too good to let go. They have an openness and naturalness that I've rarely heard in other designs. Maybe the bass could be a little fuller and tighter, but thats not a problem really. I've tried a few amps; Quad 306, Quantum 202 and 207, Nad 3020, Sansui 101, but recently I managed to recap my Hafler 220 which sounds pretty good through them. I dont know their sensitivity rating, I guess it would be mid 80's, so I was wondering if they were designed for a solid state amp rather than possibly valves?
How do yours sound, by the way?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if they were designed for a solid state amp rather than possibly valves?

I've had a good experience with a "vanilla" Quad 520, so I think Carl's (boss of ATC) Minimum Power Rule 50W SS, 100W valve holds true.

Quote:
How do yours sound, by the way?

They're a serious speaker which would be very revealing in a high definition setup, so for my cloth ears they sound pretty good on 20" stands with either the Thorens TD321/SME or Teac T1/DT1 sources into a stock (but Quad serviced) Quad 44.

Note to self, must borrow the Krell that lives opposite Very Happy .
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or :
The dome tweeter seems to be mounted tilted to the left
The piezo (?) to the left of the dome isn't "properly" centered for visual effect. And I won't accept it's placed like that after careful thought for improved dispersion (lol).
The leftmost B110s have a larger vertical spacing compared to the rightmost ones

The "shelf" at the bottom of the cabinet screams calinda
The front baffle seems to be a replacement for the original one - something like a Calinda with the front baffle replaced and all these drivers put in place.

And B110s for LF with an 8" driver as midrange? As if 8" drivers perform nicely (cone breakups, dispersion, etc) in the 2-3kHz range...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: