SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 103.3 Reference series Crossover and Installation manual

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianmac
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: KEF 103.3 Reference series Crossover and Installation manual Reply with quote

Has anyone got a circuit diagram for the 103.3 crossover

I have found my original KEF 103.3 installation manual ( marked Temporary manual so I must have an early pair) It makes interesting reading eg "Technical data relating to each and every system is held on computer at the factory. This database enables service replacements which precisely match the original performance to be selected if required."
There is also some interesting comment on the Cube.
1. It contains fixed equalisation to provide response shaping for the 103.3 system
2. The contour control operates by raising or lowering frequencies below 160 Hz +- 3 db and is designed to allow easy room matching.
3. The extension lowers the cut off freq from 50Hz to 35 Hz.(-6db point)
4. Because the Cube contains part of the loudspeakers crossover network it should always be in cct.

The manual is 15 pages + a page on the stand installation, which should have the centre column filled with dry sand or fine lead shot (No8) or a mixture.
If anyone needs a copy or can tell me how to get it onto the forum let me know.
PS still looking for a Cube circuit diagram
Ian
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ian. I have had a pair of these 103/3's for about 8 months ... I was going to sell them as I didn't have the KUBE and was not enjoying them at all. (they are on a second system in by workroom / office). I have just obtained a KUBE and now realize all I had been missing! I am not selling these now! No way. The 104/2's yes, but not these. Wonderful even with my old Luxman 3045 receiver. I have no documentation whatsoever. I would love to see that manual of yours if you could share it with me. robert.chiyoko@gmail.com Just let me know if there's any way I can reciprocate the favour Smile
Ianmac
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Kef 103.3 Reply with quote

Robert I have had mine from new. At the time of purchase I was in Broadcast Engineering and bought 7 systems for use in new editing suites I was building plus another 3 for myself and 2 member of the Sound Dept. At that time I had the facilities to evaluate them aginst Rogers, Harbeth etc and the Kef's won hands down.
I have recently upgraded all my electronics and thought that the Kef's were now the weak links but listening to speakers in the hi Fi rip off shops near me I am finding that I will have to spend £2000 to match them. The only problem is the transient response in the bass region and from my research this is inherent in the Bass bandpass cabinet design. I am looking at improving my Kefcube but struggling to find the time. I have found that the cube is highly suseptible to external fields and that anything that radiates within 6" of the cube will break through at low level onto the audio. This I presume is due to the cube having a plastic case. I will build a metal case and ensure it is earthed to hopefuly cure this problem. Make sure your cube is well away from any mains leads or other equipment particularly with Switched Mode power supplies (TVor some Linn equip.)
I can copy the manuals or photo them and send them as Jpegs
Let me know.
Ian
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ian .. been busy earning cash to feed my audio interests and missed your post!javascript:emoticon('Confused')
Confused I would love to find a way to improve upon the Kube for my 103/3's also. Mine are now in a second system, at the computer desk, sold the 104/2's instead. I'm using the IMF 50 MkII's in my living area just because I LOVE the bass and the warm KEF like richness overall. But those are overdue for a crossover update and when I get to that (first priority) I'll get the 103/3's with the Kube back up there for a real extended listen / analysis. Keep me posted with your Kube project pleeeese Smile
Do you still have the set up info on the 103's to share?javascript:emoticon('Question')
Question
Ianmac
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: 103.3 Reply with quote

Have the set up info . Trying to find the easiest way to onpass this to others. My scanner generates massive files from a scan. Too big to email. I am about to make photo copies for another member.
Any suggestions as to how I can make these available to all would be welcome.
First look at the problems with the kefcube appear to less technical than I first thought. The Cube is badly affected by radiation from other souces which appears as very low noise on the audio output. (One can actually hear this on the speakers. )Try moving your cube about a bit, close to other cables carrying signal and mains.
I suspect the plastic case may be the problem and I am looking at making a metal screened case.
Ianmac
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, you could try a scan then compress into a zip file ... winzip? An option. It would then be much easier to distribute. If you want to post a copy to me, I will make multiples and help with distribution. I have ready access to good copiers.
Does your Kube have an external power supply? Mine (SP 2080) is internal ... direct connection to the mains. My 104/2 kube was external. I wonder which version is earliest? I haven't noticed any noise from it at least not in the simple system it's in now. It's connected in the tape monitor loop, but when I move it to my main system I will want to try it bridged between pre and power amps. But, that's not advisable ... is it?
Ianmac
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: 103.3 Reply with quote

Have managed to scan the document, have sent you a PM.
My Kube is SP 2080 BA spkrs 002925a&B
The Kube spec for S/N is-95db ref 1v input. I'm still sure screening from magnetic radiation will help cure my issues. I could really do with a knackered cube to sort out a metal case for it.
Still looking for a CCt diagram for the cube and the crossover unit
Ianmac
RC in TO
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian. I watched as 103/3 kube "sans power supply" sold on ebay last week for about $50 US. Still a bit pricey cosidering it may not have even worked! I'll keep my eyes open ....
tancrède
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

T.O. Chef

I'm really surprise that 103.3 is better than 104.2 ?????

Tancrède
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 103.3 Reply with quote

Ianmac wrote:
Still looking for a CCt diagram for the cube and the crossover unit
Ianmac

What do you mean? I gave you the Kube cct diagram nearly a year ago! Your thanks is at the end of this post: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=692&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: