SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any inputs/comments: T52B, B110B and B200Gs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Any inputs/comments: T52B, B110B and B200Gs. Reply with quote

Hi all, I need some suggestions!

Have had these drivers sitting around for quite a time, haven't really been used. After listening to a pair of 107/2 vs my 105/3, I've been inspired to give these drivers a go. I have two pairs of each.

The plan: Behringer DCX2496 (24bit, 96KHz electronic crossover - DSP based), driving three separate amplifiers, for HF, Mid and LF.

The DCX2496 is fully programmable, you can set crossover frequencies, phase, slope order, alignment (Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley) and even time delay for each output. The unit can even do some equalization if necessary.

Question(s): - Considering using a d'Appolito (spelling? sorry) configuration, T52B in the middle, B110B's on top and below. B200G at the ultimate bottom. Some references suggest 3rd order crossover from mid to tweeter to minimize lobing at the crossover frequency. There's also mention that a higher-order L-R does better...

Or should I not bother with the d'Appolito at all (given that the R107/2 does very very very well with just a single T33 and B110??? Am not aware what the crossover frequency/slopes of the R107/2 is)

Suggestions on crossover frequencies?

Any other suggestions comments??

Many thanks!

ps: the audio quality of the behringer is suspect. But I plan to do some mods on it anyway - the DA stages are supposedly not too bad.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a design which uses two B200G in series, a B110B and T52 and the CS9 crossover.

So "steal" the slopes and frequencies from the CS9 instructions in the "articles" section and have a play Smile .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: CS9 crossover... Reply with quote

Hi Colin!

Many thanks for the heads-up!

I actually evaluated the sound of the CS9 design (DN27 crossover driving the B110B and the T52B). This was some time ago, paired off with the LF section of a 104/2.

Frankly (from what I can remember), there is no way that that fractional CS9 can compare to the 107/2 (which I just heard today).

Given that the two tweeters are different of course..

I guess what I'm trying to get at: is there any way that the T52B + B110B + B200Gs may get anywhere near a 107/2? :-)

Cheers

Clem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: