SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

Do you have any T27?

I am planning to do something quite similar myself: Use a set of Kef drivers with a Behringer and amps experimenting with slopes, volumes and configurations.

I like the sound of the B200 and that of the B110 as well. I am not convinced that both are needed together on the same unit. But I am going to try that as well.

What I think is more worth trying is the sound of the T27.

The biggest challenge in your (and my) quest is the bass: How deep it needs to go and how to control it.

It might be interesting to try combining the B200 with 1 or 2 x B139PRs and an enclosure volume of 30 ~ 40lt.

As far as slopes and x-over frequencies, I think getting at them is the fun of this. With the Behringer it's going to be easy to experiment - what you need is some form of evaluation - measurement. Do you have a mic and measurement s/w?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Behringer CX3400 in two-way mode with two Quad 405-2 to add bass to smaller KEF designs.

The arrangement uses B139s in Celeste boxes at 200Hz with 0.3mS delay and a Quad 44 with +3dB bass lift to flatten the falling bass response.

Highly recommended for Ref 103-2 and JR149s.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SaSi,

In fact I have both Laud and Praxis (with the latter on loan from the univsersity). So yes, measurement of the actual response shouldn't be a problem! :-)

I am not sure how much usable bass there will be, the B200s are designed to work into a sealed box and are not particularly large, thus they will probably not produce much volume at LF before they run out of their linear range (xmax). I will confess to not having really tried them out, save for a very short period in which I tried putting them into the R104/2's bass cavity (where they did not work well at all!!)

I plan to put a pair of NHT1259's to handle the ultimate low frequencies, if only to provide "enough" SPL to impress those who get a kick from movie sound-effects!

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: