SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Repair or replace KEF R101 Crossovers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveP
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: How to Repair or replace KEF R101 Crossovers Reply with quote

Hi

I have a pair of Kef Reference 101s which recently developed a fault in one of the crossovers.
( I swapped the modules and found that the drive units were fine.)

I use them for hi fi and monitoring/mastering, and love the sound - very uncoloured- mine could just do with a little bit of high end.

I have seen the schematic- without SSTOP circuitry, and component list,
by Steve Bell
I'm wondering what my options are?

1.Can I remove the SSTOP modules - if so , how do I adapt the connections o the circuit board?
2. Could the SSTOP be still be working, and one or more of the components need replacing?
3. Can I build 2 replacment units per the design, or are there better crossover designs available - I've heard that the R101 crossover design is probably better than the LS35A - since it has a flatter crossover response and no lower midrange accent?
- Maybe I could use a veroboard - and a bit of soldering practise -per the "wilmslow" thread.

I'd be grateful for some help as I really love these speakers and don't wan to give up on them - and I'd like to find a decent valve power amp to drive them - I think they'd be even more impressive.

Thanks
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which recently developed a fault in one of the crossovers

Without you describing the fault as fully as you could with details of any PCB track damage due to a leaking capacitor or the particular varient of S-STOP in your 101.

Read all of this thread as the Ref 103-2 only has one more component in it's crossover design, so diagnosis/repair/modification will be the same.

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=777

Regarding amplifiers buy a Quad 520 varient, they work rather well with Ref 101s Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
SteveP
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Colin.

I'll look at the board/components, and have the option of removing the 680k resistor.

Steve
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most llikely problem is deterioration of the relay contacts. Short across the contacts to check.
SteveP
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check this out. I've had a busy week and am looking forward to getting to grips with this

Regards

Steve Pierce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: