SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Griffin Loudspeakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin

I suspected that was the way I might have to go. I think we'll have to take the plunge and buy an active crossover. Sorting more amplifier modules isn't a big deal and the price won't be too much higher than good passive components and a couple of stages of development.
rhiollyrubgt
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked a pair of Griffin loudspeakers up at a local market recently. Perfect working order and really good condition aswell. They are small standmounters with what looks to be b110 bass, unknown tweeter and front ported at the top, they are mirror image. They are superbly made speakers that are very heavy for their size.
I will post some photo's soon and am going to list them on ebay in a few weeks if anyone is interested.
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they so good that you have decided to keep them? Laughing
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are they so good that you have decided to keep them?

Nah, he's another sad ePrey pimp using this site as a cheap source of information and for free marketing purposes.

Note the lack of the offer sell the speakers privately in the appropriate section of this forum.

That's why I didn't tell him the tweeter was a Coles CE 3000 Evil or Very Mad .

He does not have any interest in KEF loudspeakers Sad , he's got £45.50 instead.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well! (Fleetwood Mac)that is the internet!. I have bought a pair of Griffin Speakers untested . Will have a play with them. They may be model 450 or 470 but we will see. I heard those big Griffin in early 80S they were :

1/........expensive
2/.........sonically tasty
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the speakers and on opening them up was disappointed to find that they are not KEF units after all Crying or Very sad . We have an SEAS 8" Bass unit and a cone tweeter...must be pretty old.

The good news is they work perfectliy and have a nice neutral sound with no real weaknesses. Played some Dave Brubeck on Vinyl and these lil things are perfect for that in my smallish room. Nice bass and midrange with a treble that wasn`t too bright or forward. They don`t quite have the weight on the drum kit that Big Tannoys have but were very capable and realistic enough.

Cabinet seems to be a sealed enclosure with the two units set on the baffle then covered with grill fabic. This then gets attached tto the rear baffle via a long rod and a nut . The crossover is Heath Robinson in that it is a square section of ply with brass nails and evreything hardwired onto them. This then screws over the top of the tweeter with a damping pad between them........aint seen that before. Is it to damp the tweeter? Here`s a pic. Any comments appreciated.

lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Speaker Guru and Colin.........give us a comment after 3wks Laughing . These are keepers for room system.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at that crossover in the picture, I'm speechless LOL
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

I spoke to another guy and he had a set of these. His crossover looked the same. So looks as though Griffin put them out like that. Do you think they were in a hurry and running short of stuff Laughing
rhiollyrubgt
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Nah, he's another sad ePrey pimp using this site as a cheap source of information and for free marketing purposes.

Note the lack of the offer sell the speakers privately in the appropriate section of this forum.

That's why I didn't tell him the tweeter was a Coles CE 3000 Evil or Very Mad .

He does not have any interest in KEF loudspeakers Sad , he's got £45.50 instead.[/quote]

Not at all, i own a pair of 107's, q15's and Cara's, it's just that i had bought them very cheap (£5) and had no room for them. No need to be so nasty!
2ndhandhifi
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lexi"]Well I got the speakers and on opening them up was disappointed to find that they are not KEF units after all Crying or Very sad . We have an SEAS 8" Bass unit and a cone tweeter...must be pretty old.

The good news is they work perfectliy and have a nice neutral sound with no real weaknesses. Played some Dave Brubeck on Vinyl and these lil things are perfect for that in my smallish room. Nice bass and midrange with a treble that wasn`t too bright or forward. They don`t quite have the weight on the drum kit that Big Tannoys have but were very capable and realistic enough.

Cabinet seems to be a sealed enclosure with the two units set on the baffle then covered with grill fabic. This then gets attached tto the rear baffle via a long rod and a nut . The crossover is Heath Robinson in that it is a square section of ply with brass nails and evreything hardwired onto them. This then screws over the top of the tweeter with a damping pad between them........aint seen that before. Is it to damp the tweeter? Here`s a pic. Any comments appreciated.

That's a Pheonix. Almost the last thing they did and from memory some kind of What HiFi award winner. The're was a Super Phoenix after that which ended up being flogged ioff by Richers - presumable after they went under.

I have two pairs myself - neither have the model number on the tweeter. One clearly the original has no number - the other pair has replacements. if anone knows what it is I'd like to her from them. Cant comment on the crossovers as its ages since I looked inside mine.

I also have 4 other models, plus a turntable and an amp - neither are the same as the ones shown here.

Dont know if this is the right time/section to ask, but anyone who has Griffin stuff for sale - please contact me. Moderate if necessary! Would love to swap info with anyone daft enough... Smile
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
looking at that crossover in the picture, I'm speechless LOL

Was it the mutually coupled inductors or something else which rocked your senses? Smile
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short; yes Laughing . Without putting one on top of the other, they couldn't be much closer could they? But I expect the position and values were very carefully determined by experimental listening Shocked Rolling Eyes .
I remember one "high end" Japanese "engineer" winding and unwinding crossover inductors from behind a loudspeaker while "listening" to the sound from the front (of the loudspeaker) with the aid of a large mirror..................
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just coming back on my speakerS.....still in the family Laughing

My Son uses them with a Nad3020 amp I gave him. They are very nice for listening to music rather than HI-FI Very Happy
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexi wrote:
Just coming back on my speakerS.....still in the family Laughing

My Son uses them with a Nad3020 amp I gave him. They are very nice for listening to music rather than HI-FI Very Happy

Nice old rhetoric, sadly you need Hi-Fi in order to let the music out, and the better the Hi-Fi the more music seems to escape.
Hence Hi-Fi or reproduction of sound that is faithful to the original performance... Simples Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: