SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Dual Concentrics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Kef Dual Concentrics Reply with quote

What`s with this new (to me) line of speakers from KEF? I am really on the lookout for an older model having always liked the smooth and uncoloured delivery. My speakers are 15 inch Tannoy DC`S. The Kefs will go in another system.

I don`t imagine the Kef DCs sounding like Tannoy as the top speakers from each respective company have been so different over the years.

Any thoughts.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the dinosaur has surfaced, eh? Laughing
See http://www.kef.com/France/technology/uniq/qwpintroduction.asp for an explanation of Uni-Q. It's not just dual concentric or co-axial. It's co-incident. Only possible after the development of Neo magnets in the 80s. Before that, the Tannoy tweeters used to have a large magnet so that the tweeter was behind the woofer and all the high frequencies had to go through a collection of drillings in the woofer pole piece.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
See http://www.kef.com/France/technology/uniq/qwpintroduction.asp for an explanation of Uni-Q. It's not just dual concentric or co-axial. It's co-incident. Only possible after the development of Neo magnets in the 80s. Before that, the Tannoy tweeters used to have a large magnet so that the tweeter was behind the woofer and all the high frequencies had to go through a collection of drillings in the woofer pole piece.

I always thought that the cross sectioned 'Phase Correction' plugs for the HF units looked so pretty... Very Happy
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Link Reply with quote

Thanks for link. Paper certainly should be linked from this site.
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Interesting design that ...will have to get a listen. I see they are building proper baskets too which not only is better engineering quality but maybe a prerequisite on a unit like that.

Those Tannoy Hornloaded tweeters were expensive and involving to make I think......... changed design slightly now. Are the UniQ any better to the older Kefs ........or just different?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexi wrote:
Are the UniQ any better to the older Kefs ........or just different?

We did a back to back WooferTweeter vs Uni-Q listening test with two pairs of 102/RDM1 sized boxes and it was difficult to tell the difference if you kept your head still in one spot. Both pairs of systems were "flat", measured on the tweeter axis. If you moved around, however, then the Uni-Q changed in timbre less than the conventional 2-way as you moved. The effect will be more noticeable the more acoustically "live" the room.
lexi
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
speakerguru wrote:

I always thought that the cross sectioned 'Phase Correction' plugs for the HF units looked so pretty... Very Happy

Mine look pretty as they are all perfectly drilled Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: