SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arcam alpha 7cd player help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajswinscoe
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Arcam alpha 7cd player help Reply with quote

As above really.
Ive got an arcam alpha 7 cd player which ive owned since new in 1996. Its been a brilliant machine. And never given me any reason to complain in 12 years.
Until the other day that is.
Its decided that the digital display only wants to work after about 20 mins of use. I switch on and nothing. It plays discs no problem. But i just dont know what track number.
however the display does come back on about 6 tracks into a disc usually.
Ive opened up the player for a look around. But there is nothing obvious.
I know a few forum members really know their electronics so i thought id ask here for some of your opinions on what it may be. And the best course of action to take.
Though some people have said to me that as long it plays what does it matter ?It does matter to me. Very much. I like things to be how they should. And getting rid of the player for a more modern player is completely out of the question.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you have a "dry" joint somewhere which makes again when the unit has heated up. You could leave it on all the time but if you want to fix it you will have to provoke the fault.

You will need to arm yourself with a hot air gun (with a very small nozzle) and a can of freezer spray. Ideally you will have a schematic and physical layout drawing too. You then have to search for a display related part of one of the printed circuit boards where you can turn the fault on and off by alternately applying heat and cold. If you still can't see a dodgy looking joint then just resolder all the joints in this vicinity. All easier said than done, I know. Happy hunting.
satelliteone
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not surprised arcams fail. build quality in the 7 and the 8`s, are a bit on the poor side, I have an version 8 Cd player with a faulty transformer, who in their right mind, en-cases the transformer in resin? Have they never heard of heat?. nope, just hide the windings from view theory. Thrown in the bin attitude me thinks.. rather keep to the Jap stuff me!. not only that feel cheap too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: