SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 103 (need help) Tweeter blown?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenegadeUK
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Kef 103 (need help) Tweeter blown? Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently got given a pair of KEF 103 speakers, and it seems that on one of the pair, the tweeter seems very 'dull' sounding.
The tweeter is a SP1049

I have an average understanding of electronics, and i've checked all the capacitors etc with a multimeter.

Could anyone offer any advice on how to check if the tweeter is working or not, or, if it is a component problem.

The tweeter works, but is very dull, (in comparison with the other working speaker)

Could anyone also offer a suitable replacement for the speaker? (or replacement for both tweeters if necessary)

I hope someone here can help me out, and thanks offering such a great forum and website.

Yours sincerely

Guy Evans

P.s. If i pan the sound over to the blown speaker, and lower the volume of the 'working speaker' it seems to even out the difference, could it be possible that a capacitor has blown and is not suplying enough power for the broken speaker.

i hope this info may shine some more light on the cause of the problem

Thanks again if you can offer any help Wink
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the inductance or the resistance of the HF units. The lowest reading will probably be the faulty one.
Or why not just swap them over? If the fault follows you have found the faulty unit!

If one of the tweeters is partly short circuit then playing loud could be making the amplifier complain…
Checking capacitors with a multimeter will only show up the most basic faults.
Have you tried resoldering the connections on the crossover board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: