SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Tl's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: DIY Tl's Reply with quote

Ok I'm a bit new to this, (lurked on here for a while), but love making and experimenting. Currently the proud owner of a pair of 105.2's and loving them, but want to build something. (the itch that needs scratching!!!)

Spent a few hours on the web looking at the Bailey/Rogers and Atkinson Tl's, but can't decide on which. I'll be using th classic B139 B110 T27 combo. This whole TL business seems to resemble the Masons!!!

I'm more than capable woodwork/electronic wise, but at accoustics I'm still a bit of a novice. (just know if it sounds good) Certainly don't want to go the Martin King route yet... Does anyone have any experience/direct comparisons of these?

Sorry if this seems a bit vague.

Also I've not found much info on the Atkinson, Just one HEAVILY pruned article, so if anyone can point me in the right direction??

Pete
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't beleive in them. See http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=652&highlight= . If you want low bass it's much easier to eq a closed box (a la Kube).
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bailey/Rogers and Atkinson Tl's

Reprints for the above are available from Malcolm Jones at www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk

A couple of triangulated B139B designs exist in pdf form at www.t-linespeakers.org

For all B139B B110A, T27 combinations the crossover design sponsored by the Australian distributor (Falcon type 53), gets the best out of these drive units.

Folded tapered labyrinths progressively damped with sheep’s wool or a stuffed reflex port are fun to listen to but as wood is allergic to me I’ve no experience on the complexity of the builds, but the Atkinson SOTA is not for the faint hearted.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the Atkinson SOTA is not for the faint hearted.

Now that's what I like to hear!!!

Just won a Falcon Xover on EPrey and Wickes is beckoning at the weekend for some MDF....[

Last edited by peejay1959 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.remo.nl/zelfbouwers.htm

This is the standard of finish I'm aiming for, with Kef drivers ofcourse.

I will keep you all posted with progress.
Craigb
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
If you try www.tech-diy.com you will find a reasonable article of the Atkinson design (pro9tl - state of the art?)
I have a version of these sans the HF1300's and I'm pretty happy with how they sound. Pity they weigh a ton. Though they are not as ugly or heavy as my pair of Rogers type TLs that have padded vinyl as the exterior and beading for the front baffle which sound magnificent, but due to their size, weight and appearance don't get much chance to be given a decent workout these days!
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craigb, I had seen those and was planning to leave the HF's out too, good to hear that they're ok without them as it seemed a bit overboard to me. Still have'nt finally decided which to build but like a challenge so am leaning towards the SOTA's... Weight's good anway!!
The SOTA article seems to be half complete, no words, compared to different article's I have for Rogers, still adds to the challenge....
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The SOTA article seems to be half complete, no words, compared to different article's

The original Hi-fi News article described the design and has the crossover schematic, you had to send away for the "information sheet" on tech-diy.

Providing you build the midrange chamber first you should be ok with the rest of the build.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the Mid encolsure Colin, I'd have probably worked from the outside in! Probably still do the carcase first. As I've said, I'm not planning on using the Celestions and have a Falcon XOver, So I think I'm about ready to 'Go For It'....
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the build has started, !st mid enlosure made and base in place. I will post a Pic. in a day or so.
Craigb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeeJay,

I have come across a photocopy of the orginal Hi-Fi News and Record Review article of April 1976. I'm busy trying to scan some other stuff that I have promised to others so I can add this to my list if you are interested. I thought I got this from tech-diy but on reflection I was given it when I bought my pair. No guarantees as to how it will turn out quality wise and it is fairly general - 3 pages in total.

Please let me know if you would like a copy.
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

Yes I would love to have as much info as possible. The plans I have are okay, but I'm struggling a bit with some of the finer detail. I have nearly completed the first cabinet and will be posting pictures soon and I'm sure the second will be a lot easier, having learn't how to solve some of the detail, may end up building three.....

Cheers Pete
Craigb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK They are ready to be sent, send me a PM with your email and I will post ASAP.
peejay1959
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Craig.

Quick Pic of No. 1 Bit rough and not too ready at the moment.

Since taking pictures a lot of cleaning up has been done and all the labyrinth has been fitted. More to follow...
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them coming! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: