SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crossover conversion from 4 to 3 speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGBE
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Crossover conversion from 4 to 3 speakers Reply with quote

I have 2 Falcon "type 16 networks" that were intended for B139, B110, Celestion HF1300 and HF2000. I would like to use them now for a pair of compact monitors with the B110 as bass-mid speaker instead of the B139 .

What can I expect if I ignore the B139 terminals and bypass the "mid" components of the B110? If you tell me how to do it!

I can also leave the crossovers as they are and use a second pair of B110 as bass units instead of the B139. But this would make the monitors much larger.

What do you think?
DrBoar
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can skip the B139 terminals and just run the B110. The problem is that the B110 when used as a midrange also have a highpass filter in the crossover that will cut away all the bass!

Plugging in a second B110 in the B139 termianl is not a good idea.

To ba able to use the Falcon xover you have to remove the highpass filter for the B110. Probably a large capacitor sitting in series with the woofer and then a inducor in parallell with the B110. Even then to work properly you have to have the B110, Celestion HF1300 and HF2000 in the same baffle dimentions as the origianl construction. Putting them in narrow mini monitor cabinet will change the frequency response away from the intended.

It might give a decent result but to get the most of the drivers crossover, baffle and drivers have to be matched
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is very little of any use componentwise on the Falcon type 16 "Crabbe modification" IMF TLS 80 pcb for use in a mini monitor, so sell them and build a CS1 crossover
http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/Archive/CS1P3.jpg

or just steal the B110A section if you're going to use an alternative tweeter.

The "Crabbe modification" may be found in the Tip-Top top article Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: