SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still require 105.4 bass driver details

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Still require 105.4 bass driver details Reply with quote

I am still looking for a complete technical specification for the bass drivers from my Kef R105.4?

Anyone?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no. I designed those units but I don't have any records of the paramers.

All I can remember is that the cone, chassis and magnet were the same as the 103|2 bass unit, the SP1075. The SP1075 had a "velbex" surround, more suitable for midrange damping. I used a more robust rubber surround in order to withstand the higher pressures in the 105|4 bass box . I also opted for 2 x 16 Ohm units in parallel rather than 2 X 4 Ohm units in series, because they were more stable when overdriven.

If you're designing from scratch, it's not that hard to build a test box, do some measurements and then move on to the final design from there.

Good luck
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also opted for 2 x 16 Ohm units in parallel rather than 2 X 4 Ohm units in series, because they were more stable when overdriven

Interesting, I would have expected to have found a couple of 16 Ohm units in my pair of Ref. 105-4s but I found a pair of 4 Ohm SP1076 in series.

The surrounds are very similar (fingers & diy Hooke's Law) to those of SP1075s.

The cabinets were made ~Dec 1980 SNo. ~1300.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Interesting, I would have expected to have found a couple of 16 Ohm units in my pair of Ref. 105-4s but I found a pair of 4 Ohm SP1076 in series.

Oh dear, my memory is going then. Perhaps I was overruled for production or purchasing reasons and then chose to forget........................
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:

Quote:
was overruled for production or purchasing

If the 1980 Hi-fi Choice book reviewers had opened the Ref. 105-4 boxes at the time to confirm what they were told by KEF.

For the review states "two less expensive 200mm units operating in parallel."

I imagine there might be a few (~200-500?) production models as designed by you out there.

Another speaker design to add to the collection Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: