SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tangent speakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is surprising to see how much the drivers can go for

It sadly is with many ePrey pimps plagiarising the information off this site in order to ply their despicable trade.

The TM1 is however an optimal design for the B200 SP1014 / T27 SP10032 and for may it falls into the "keeper" class, so hopefully you'll become a fan.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
ARRAY
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box appears slightly large for the size of the driver which can be a good sign, so I agree it is probably optimized for that woofer although I've never run it up on the signal oscillator. After I get the other tweeter back together I'll spend an evening with them. I should introduce myself; my names' Chris and I operate Array Audio Electronics out of Winnipeg Canada. It's a home based operation (doesn't make any economic sense to own a shop currently). I am an expert in driver mechanics and repair, although I concentrate mostly on systems, parts and surplus sales. There are few things that stay "in stock", I listen to items before offering them to a new home. It is kind of like the old saying: "the cobblers children go barefoot" Of course, there are a few peices that stay in the stable for personal use. I recently aquired a 104/2 pair on trade that I'll hang onto for a while. I may trick them out a bit, depending on time.

Hey, does anyone know if these TM-1's had "Tangent" insignia plates on both covers? One seems to be missing on here.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Chris, you'll have to make contact with the other Canuks who lurk around here.

Gary where are you Smile ?

Quote:
these TM-1's had "Tangent" insignia plates on both covers

I'm afraid so and like many other badges it's hard to find a replacement.

My Tangents are pictured here

http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/tm1.html

Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tangents TM-1 Reply with quote

ARRAY wrote:
Another nice thing is the removable front baffle. If you ever wanted to re-use the cabinet for another DIY project it is ideal. I haven't listened to them much (being a recent aquisition) but their bass (presence) response seems promising. It is surprising to see how much the drivers can go for.

Hello! Yes, those TM1's really hold up (sound quality wise) after all these years, don't they? KEF quality never seems to age...

My TM1's have a gold plate with dark brown / black writing on the lower left of each grill cloth. Just like Colin's pictures. Originally, you used to pull on the plate to remove the grill cloth but as they are so old.... you're taking your chances if you do that!

I have a few KEF parts hanging around from dead Tangent RS6's, etc. where someone replaced the drivers, etc... Tangent's like power but can't take massive volume. Be careful with them!

Hey, ColinR: I was on vacation for three weeks out of the last four.... one week in Mexico. 90 degrees F in the daytime, all inclusive... it's time for a diet! Wink
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete the set Very Happy I've aquired a pair of Tangent TM2s.

TM2 a three-way aperiodic design from ~1975 using KEF B139, B200, T27 crossed over at 280Hz and 3000Hz in a 29"*14"*14.5" box Cool .
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thunders.ca/tangent/tm2.php Very Happy .
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are beautiful - and probably sound even better!!!!

Congratulations on that find! They remind me of my Calindas!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are beautiful - and probably sound even better!!!!

Very Happy I thought you'd like them, I'm just getting a few capacitors together to make them sound a little better.

The 55W JVC amplifier in the "rubbish" system (ERA 6X/ SME/ Ortofon Concord edited from RHS of photograph) came free with the speakers Cool .
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm still flabberghasted (sure that's a word!!) that 1) you found them and 2) they actually exist!!!! Just bloody* amazing!

One can't have too many systems, can one? JVC had some pretty decent stuff at one time.

*bloody: An expressive. Not a swear word - Shakespeare used it. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: