SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 103.2 SP1121 Reference - Tweeter blown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlynnscott
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: KEF 103.2 SP1121 Reference - Tweeter blown Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am a rank amateur who inherited a pair of beautiful KEFs from my dad. One of the tweeters is out. It is a T33 8 ohm. Kef says they don't make these but can send me a diaphragm and I can repair it. Seems straightforward enough, though I'd have to get a friend with a soldering iron to do the leads.

Can anyone offer suggestions? I'd rather just replace the tweeter but there are none on eBay and none come up on Google. How do you even know it's the diaphragm? It seems fine but now that I have taken it apart, I am bound to proceed.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated.

Jennifer
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried connecting the tweeter to a benign audio source like a transistor radio or ipod via a 3.5mm jack to two bare wires.

Sound, tweeter ok, so the problem lies elsewhere.

To repair the T33 you remove the four screws holding the faceplate and thread the wires through it.

The dome/voice coil is held by double sided sticky tape, KEF will advise on how to remove the residues.

The new dome will have protective paper over the sticky bit and all you have to do is get the two holes aligned with the two lugs on the top plate.

How much is KEF charging for the redome?

I'm interested as a "spare" has had the attentions of a dog's claw so the dome is holed.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
jlynnscott
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Diaphragm cost Reply with quote

Thank you.

KEF USA quoted me $45 for one.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KEF USA quoted me $45 for one.

At ~£28 that's competitive with the items of unknown provenance you see on ePrey, so I’d go for it.

If you have any watchmaker, surgeon or dentist friends, their steady hands might prove useful, best of luck Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: