SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B110 versions A and B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: B110 versions A and B Reply with quote

In the KEF documentation, there are two "modern" versions of the B110, the SP1003 and the SP1057.

However, the actual drivers come in two other designations. B110-A and B110-B.

I am told that the A version is for 2 way speaker systems and the B version for 3 way systems. Is there any truth in this? What is the actual difference between the two versions (A and B)?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am told that the A version is for 2 way speaker systems and the B version for 3 way systems. Is there any truth in this? What is the actual difference between the two versions (A and B)?

Complete and utter ePrey bollocks.

Simply Wink .

The two varients of 8 Ohm B110B are SP1057, with a higher powered voice coil than,

any of the six 8 Ohm B110A varients of A6362 or SP1003.

The 4 Ohm B110C with a more compliant surround is a SP1228 or SP1380.

There are a couple of "odd sods" like the 24 Ohm B110A in the Heathkit / Arena and at least one other C type.

Read the main site fully Shocked .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,

thanks for the reply. Just came back from vacation.

So what you are saying is that B110A is the SP1003 version and B110B is the SP1057?

Actually, the comment on B110A and B versions came from a middleaged salesman at a local loudspeaker component shop that dates the early KEF days. I bought the drivers for my DIY CS1 from him.

I read through the main site and there is a bit of confusion between the SP1003 and SP1057 vs B110A and B110B varieties. It's not clear which is which. And the sporadic info I was able to obtain browsing through the internet speak of different characteristics caused by different cone materials, mainly.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what you are saying is that B110A is the SP1003 version and B110B is the SP1057

YES Wink.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: