SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1974 Kef Concerto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalcolmD
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: 1974 Kef Concerto Reply with quote

I have owned a pair of Kef Concerto speakers for about 15 years now, and although I have not used them for a long time I would be interested in restoring them. one speaker is in ok condition and works well, although the tweeter sounds quite dull, I expect this is normal for such an old speaker. the other one has had a replacement tweeter of celestion origin and as far as I know has had a re-wound capacitor on the crossover. they have the original covers in brown but have also been recovered in black over the top. they both have the original date and inspection tag with signatures, and the box's could do with a rub down and varnish, but are otherwise really good, all acoustic foam is inside. I was only a teenager when I inherited these speakers from a friend of the family and I never received the spiked floor stands that they used to rest on. I did use them and enjoyed them for a few years.

I am interested in finding replacement tweeters and repairing the crossover. also the fronts of the subwoofer's have some imperfections which used to cause some vibrating noise, which I stopped buy using some blue tack as a filler. (probably not the best solution) but it did work.
Also I would like to know your recommendations of what kind of amplifier I should use to hook these up to, as my other System is too powerful (an American 120watt NHT Sub amp connected to a Technics HiFi running a pair of by wired 200watt NHT VT-1.2's) I own other parts but need to find a Very nice amp. The KEF's would be for another room.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Kef Concerto Reply with quote

MalcolmD wrote:
has had a re-wound capacitor on the crossover.

Re-wound capacitor? Very unlikely; re-wound inductor more like. You'll need to get hold of an LCR meter and compare one side with the other if you suspect the corresponding left and right inductors are not equal. You can then add or take off turns as required.

You should try to get hold of a pair of T27 SP1032. Anything else is likely to be too sensitive.

1974 was quite late for Concertos. It was soon to be replaced by the Cantata. Concertos were very "middley" by most people's standards so you might like to experiment with 1 to 3 Ohm 10W resistor in series with the input to the midrange section of the crossover for a more natural sound.

An old Quad 303 should be about right unless you wanted to do a complete crossover rebuild with higher power resistors and higher voltage capacitors.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Kef Concerto Reply with quote

MalcolmD wrote:
I have owned a pair of Kef Concerto speakers for about 15 years now, and although I have not used them for a long time I would be interested in restoring them. one speaker is in ok condition and works well, although the tweeter sounds quite dull, I expect this is normal for such an old speaker.

Not really.

MalcolmD wrote:
the other one has had a replacement tweeter of celestion origin

Yes you really need two the same. What else has been changed inside????

MalcolmD wrote:
they have the original covers in brown but have also been recovered in black over the top. .

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

MalcolmD wrote:
I never received the spiked floor stands that they used to rest on.

The originals didn't have spiked stands. The spikes may however help. Depends on the stands too.

MalcolmD wrote:
I am interested in finding replacement tweeters and repairing the crossover

Sounds like a good idea. As suggested 2 of KEF T27 SP1032 and KEF crossover DN12 SP1004 from eBay is what you probably want. Also see http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/ for replacement crossover.

Good Luck.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmD wrote:
Also I would like to know your recommendations of what kind of amplifier

Depends on what kind of sound you want.

MalcolmD wrote:
I should use to hook these up to, as my other System is too powerful (an American 120watt NHT Sub amp connected to a Technics HiFi running a pair of by wired 200watt NHT VT-1.2's) I own other parts but need to find a Very nice amp. The KEF's would be for another room.

I would expect your Concertos with a decent amp to give your Technics and NHT VT-1.2s a run for their money except if you are listening at high volume - but I just love the Concertos!
MalcolmD
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: 1974 Kef Concerto Reply with quote

Well As far as I can know the speakers were rebuilt in the late 80's someone has rewound the 'inductor' sorry for my mistake. And recovered the fronts, I never really used them much, except for when there were small kids around. The celestion tweeter was changed by me as the other one got damaged during a move and I had it laying around. since then they have sat at my dads house gathering dust. I really love these special speakers and they do deserve to be restored again.

I remember when the original owner had them before he died and we were playing some very loud music. the room was facing brighton beach and there were people looking and asking if it was a party.. Very loud for such an old speaker and a relatively low wattage.

I like the Idea of an old Quad 303 I owned one once, it was a very good piece of kit, simple but reliable and lots of low down grunt.

My NHT VT 1.2's Cost $2200 Each new. they do sound amazing, when the Concerto's are back Alive I will let you know the difference.
MalcolmD
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didnt pay that much for the NHT's I got them from an emmigrating yank for £100 Best bargian ever!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to the Audiojumble at Tonbridge on the 11th October, (otherwise don't bother), make contact via emal as I have a Concerto SP1004 crossover with a faulty inductor in my bits box which you may be able to scavenge from.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: