SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your Favourite track/cd for showing off your system ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
Associated discussion:

If i want to show the ability of my furniture to move about in the room, Ray Charles interpretation of Imagine (on the Genius & Friends album), gives a fairly good impression.

The KEF 107's powered by a Luxman L560 have an easy job mobilising the sofa.

Ragnar

will be looking for that track ! Very Happy

wow thats an impressive list of KEF speakers you've owned Wink

i've only had 3 - concorde,bailey design and now calindas

i was in bengsfors last year for holiday and visited dalsland, very nice Cool

is it snowing there yet ?
Ragnar
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a little snow and subzero temperatures now and then in the southern part of Sweden where i live.

Further up north they've had the annual traffic problems related to the extremely unlikely arrival of snow in areas located close to the polar circle.

Last winter we only had a handful of white days - this year will hopefully be different.

Yes, as you've noticed i am a true KEF nut. My first pair was the C10's mated with a Musical Fidelity A1, and shortly therafter a pair of C80's mated to a used Luxman L550. The Luxman died after a few years, and i parked the KEF's. In 2005 i got the chance to purchase another Luxman L550, and i pulled out my C80's again. Now i had a larger room, and i wanted to see what the Reference series could that the C series lacked.

So i started with apair of 105's that looked ugly and mistreated, but sounded fine. Bass was impressive but the C80's seemed to be more precise and lees restricted in the higher tones (eg. female voices). I then went for the 104/2 and they were even better than the C80's. I then sold both the 104/2's and C80's, and bought a nice pair of 107. The best so far.

Recently i stumbled over a pair of Reference Two's at a bargain price and and mated them up with a Beocenter 9500 (my wife's equipment - more looks than performance), replacing the C10's.

Last week my son inherited the C10's.

If you are careful when you buy and wait until the right price turns up, it wont ruin you to test the differnt models.

Ragnar
KEF Reference 105's (2006-2006)
KEF Reference 104/2's (2006-2007)
KEF Reference 107's (2007-now)
KEF Reference Two (2007 -now)
KEF Reference Four (2010 -now)
suffolk2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
We've had a little snow and subzero temperatures now and then in the southern part of Sweden where i live.

Further up north they've had the annual traffic problems related to the extremely unlikely arrival of snow in areas located close to the polar circle.

Last winter we only had a handful of white days - this year will hopefully be different.

Yes, as you've noticed i am a true KEF nut. My first pair was the C10's mated with a Musical Fidelity A1, and shortly therafter a pair of C80's mated to a used Luxman L550. The Luxman died after a few years, and i parked the KEF's. In 2005 i got the chance to purchase another Luxman L550, and i pulled out my C80's again. Now i had a larger room, and i wanted to see what the Reference series could that the C series lacked.

So i started with apair of 105's that looked ugly and mistreated, but sounded fine. Bass was impressive but the C80's seemed to be more precise and lees restricted in the higher tones (eg. female voices). I then went for the 104/2 and they were even better than the C80's. I then sold both the 104/2's and C80's, and bought a nice pair of 107. The best so far.

Recently i stumbled over a pair of Reference Two's at a bargain price and and mated them up with a Beocenter 9500 (my wife's equipment - more looks than performance), replacing the C10's.

Last week my son inherited the C10's.

If you are careful when you buy and wait until the right price turns up, it wont ruin you to test the differnt models.

Ragnar

had a great time in sweden, would love to go back for another visit.
should have spend sometime in gothenburg, as we only saw the city
airport !

i've had alot of systems but mainly based on rega equipment. i am
running the calindas with the rega elicit and its a pre-power in one
compact, heavy box. the sound is very good for its price range.
in uk alot of hifi nuts like naim stuff and i hope to get one soon
on ebay if price is right.

i bought an exposure amp x on ebay as i was impressed with it when i heard it years ago. they are also good amps [ the old range ]
i don't think luxman is very popular in uk, but i have heard their stuff
and i like them too. they are a more upmarket japanese brand.

as for music, i would recommend diana krall, has been listening to her so much lately.
lately.
vistisen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suffolk2 wrote:
vistisen wrote:
Good Question, It depends what aspect I'm trying to demonstrate.... Diana Krall's when I look in your eyes album, I purposely didn't choose a particular song as I always end up listening to the whole CD

vistisen thanks for introducing me to Diana Krall, love her mellow voice and now have a collection of her cds, cant stop listening to her now Very Happy

Glad to be of service, Another artist whose records I love is Sara Groves.
Try listening to her album "all right now" start with track 3. Beautifully recorded (in HDCD), she is a Christian artist, but that's not a problem for me. If it is for you then fine, but you will be missing a fabulous CD.
I live in Denmark, if you are not put off by cd with foreign texts I have several Scandinavian artists who are worth listening to, even if you can not understand the words. Send me a PM and i'll send a couple of demos
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vistisen wrote:
suffolk2 wrote:
vistisen wrote:
Good Question, It depends what aspect I'm trying to demonstrate.... Diana Krall's when I look in your eyes album, I purposely didn't choose a particular song as I always end up listening to the whole CD

vistisen thanks for introducing me to Diana Krall, love her mellow voice and now have a collection of her cds, cant stop listening to her now Very Happy

Glad to be of service, Another artist whose records I love is Sara Groves.
Try listening to her album "all right now" start with track 3. Beautifully recorded (in HDCD), she is a Christian artist, but that's not a problem for me. If it is for you then fine, but you will be missing a fabulous CD.
I live in Denmark, if you are not put off by cd with foreign texts I have several Scandinavian artists who are worth listening to, even if you can not understand the words. Send me a PM and i'll send a couple of demos

thanks will look out for her cd. christian artists does not bother me the slightest, music is music to me. i do have a cd of swedish female singers and although i don't understand what is sung, the melody,voice and recording is amazing.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Wisely Reply with quote

Just came across a great sounding LP simply called Wisely on Ella Records.

For the past few days, I've been giving my turntable a workout (I have an Oracle) and listening to Radiohead - OK Computer, Amy Winehouse - Back in Black, Portishead - Dummy, Neko Case - Black Listed and some old stuff like Wishbone Ash, Kinks and Miles Davis- Bitches Brew, this Wisely was a shock!

But a good shock!

Wow, the definition and clarity is excellent! The bass sounds like bass, the guitars sound real and the guy has a good voice. Perhaps a little obscure but I hope this guy keeps it up!

Mastered for vinyl by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray (two USA audiophile guys) it's pretty dang great!

I guess it can be described as low key adult contemporary pop.

This'll probably stay in rotation for a few years.... Smile
O'Shag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system will sound its very best, I feel, when playing an LP on the turntable, which is the Musical Fidelity M1 w/ SME M2 tonearm and Dynavector Karat 17D2. The real magic is provided by the MFA MC Reference preamp/phono stage driving the ARC Classic 150 monoblocks.

I have a few favourite LPs that 'trip friends out' when they listen. One that stands out for me is an LP I picked up at a Goodwill store and that had never been opened in its 40-year existence. I think I paid 50cents for it. It contains sheer magic. Mose Allison sings live at the small but famous Lighthouse Jazz Club (this venue is just up the road from where I now live in Redondo Beach CA). The LP; physically as old as the hills (although good as new) never ceases to amaze my friends. As soon as the arm lowers and the stylus burrows its way frantically through the millions of tiny grooves, one is totally captivated. The recording has captured Mose Allison performing on that night in the '60s with such presence, such aliveness. One is transported into that venue, with the rest of the crowd huddled and intoxicated in the club. Mose sings all his best tunes. Total magic.

There are many more pieces of music, but another LP in particular captivates and mesmerises me whenever I listen to it. It is a double album, again from the 60s, and again I found it at some thrift shop for 50cents. Obscure to the Western world, I'm sure that in Japan the maestro who plays the works so beautifully is a well-known figure. The authentic old-world Japanese instruments are beguiling, every few tracks are mixed with orchestra, but whatever the track, the music never fails to be hauntingly beautiful. Like the Mose Allison LP, the images are highly defined in 3-D space with lots of air, and without any homogenization whatsoever. The images are dense, and not vague. The soundscape seems limitless in a real-life way - so much so that one ceases to think about it. And like all good quality vinyl recordings, it is without any strain. The sound just opens up with a sense of boundless extension and air. This is something that is hard for a CD player to do.
suffolk2

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like some good ones here to hunt out !

for people who likes jazz, has anyone here heard of the double
LP "jazz at the pawnshop" ? the recording is suppose to be good
but i feel its abit light. would be good to hear your opinions.

i still have my kef calindas hooked up Very Happy
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty famous recording. I seem to remember it "everywhere" as in CD, SACD, LP.... and I don't have it.

What label is your record on? Sometimes that can make all the difference!
vistisen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quotevistisen thanks for introducing me to Diana Krall, love her mellow voice and now have a collection of her cds, cant stop listening to her now Very Happy[/quote]

Have you heard anything by Alison Krauss. A friend introduced me to her music recently. Try Union station live, or A Hundred Miles Or More which is a mixture of new songs and a few greatest hits.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From CD i use some Chesky Records and Naim recordings.
Artists: Johnny Frigo, Sarah K, McCoy Tyner, Antonio Forcione, Rebecca Pidgeon, Sabina Sciubba etc. And Sade, Kate Bush, Robert Cray, Mark Knopfler from other labels.
From vinyl i use Joe Jackson, David Bowie with SRV (china girl), Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, Billy Cobham, Ry Cooder, Jacco Pastorius for the guitarlovers (and myself Very Happy ) Al Di Meola, John McLoughlin, Paco de Lucia A Friday Night in San Francisco.
For the pianists: Keith Jarreth!
I also like some classical works: Also Sprach Zarathustra (R. Strauss) and Toccata in Fuga (Bach) for the lower C on the organ.
Vivaldi's Flute concerto in D by the Connecticut Early Music Ensemble for the great focus.
Mostly recordings that are above "mainstream" quality from good instrumentalists/vocalists.
It's oh so nice to enjoy it, tears are running from my ears. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: