SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference Cambridge R50 and TL200
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Raven
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I'm still looking for a good amplifier for my TL200's. I cannot find a good Leak Stereo or QUAD amp to drive my speakers.

As I understand, I need a "broadband" amplifier, is that correct? One which has a frequency range of 10-25000 Hz or so. I am missing the very low frequencies (20Hz or below). I know the speakers are capable of this, I have heard it at the previous owner. I cannot reach him anymore, therefore I cannot find out which amp he's got.

I asked "experts" for advise, but I get the feeling they do not understand the concept of transmission lines very well. They advised Rotel and other brands which make my speakers sound too bright. Furthermore, the B139's do not respond to such amps Wink I'm guessing my speakers have a low sensitivity rating (forgive my English), because they are not easy to drive.

So, in short, does anyone have an idea which amplifier (budget: about 500 euro) is suitable for my TL200's?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're talking in foreign money Very Happy .

Look out for a 1990ish ugly German built black TEAC amplifier with the large volume control (80W per channel) or a new/modern 100W per channel MOSFET non-fan-cooled disco/PA rackmount.

Cambridge's have a benign (flattish impedance) crossover and drive units, but are ~84dB/1W so they need a good 25-50W RMS (or more) into 8 Ohm to sing Very Happy .

Whatever amplifier you purchase make sure it does not have a switch on/off thump as the high frequency harmonics involved will kill the Coles 4001Gs over time.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Eric Raven
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whatever amplifier you purchase make sure it does not have a switch on/off thump as the high frequency harmonics involved will kill the Coles 4001Gs over time.

Thanks, that is a good tip. I was thinking about hooking up my old Pioneer SA-508 amp which has a switch on/off thumb. I will skip this amp Wink

OK, I will continue my quest for a suitable TEAC amplifier. Thanks again.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
TL200: That is, if they are placed right, transmission lines are more position-sensitive then closed cabinets.

Ok, what do you recommend how to place the speakers? I have each of them placed in a corner with 30cm space between the wall and the speakers.

Sorry for reacting a bit late Eric.
I have a livingroom almost 8.5 meters long and 3.75 meters wide, a pipedrawer as it is called in Holland.My speakers are standing about 50 centimeters from the side- and backwall. The backwall is in fact a window
3.5 meters wide, 1.4 meters high with wooden panels (insulated off-course) beneath and above it. I turned the cabinets inwards, 30 degrees approximate. My listeningposition is 7 meters from the speakers.
With the right recording and my eyes closed i feel like being in a huge concerthall, vertically and horizontally the music/sound is spreade very well.
Hope you can use this information, move your speakers around, you will find an ideal position, every room has his own acoustics, there is no standard position.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Quote:
pipedrawer

When I worked for Shell Nederland Chemie BV I had a pair of IMF RSPMs driven by a Crown DC-500A (fan cooled DC-300A) and they sounded wonderful.

Now back in the UK and because of our smaller square rooms I wouldn't give them garage space.

For optimal TL positioning (any design) a pair of sack trucks should be employed to save one's back Wink .

Quote:
I was thinking about hooking up my old Pioneer SA-508 amp which has a switch on/off thumb. I will skip this amp

To allow the use of any amplifier (or if you leave it on all the time and just in case it blows up), that may have switch on/off bangs pops, thumps, buy a B-TECH BT 911 (or something of a similar quality) speaker switch/headphone box in lieu of an amplifier speakers on/off, A, B, A+B, etc switch.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Eric Raven
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it also possible to hook up a new amplifier? I mean, will it sound good as well? I have my doubts about the fact an older amp is required for good sound. My current Luxman LV-112 sounds cold and analytic.

I was thinking about the following amplifiers if I cannot find a good used one:
- Marantz PM7003
- Cambridge Audio Azur 550A
- Harman Kardon HK980
- Advance Acoustic MAP105

As far as I can determine, they are all broadband amps which should be able to drive the TL200's well. Do you believe I am correct? Although I like good clear straight sound, I also want to feel the bass.

If you believe new amps are no good for these speakers, I will continue the search for a TEAC, QUAD or such.

Thanks!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do modern amplifiers, but a good rule of thumb is the bigger the power supply the better.

So whichever one is the heaviest and which one produces double/half the power into 4/8 Ohms would be part of my selection proceedure.
Eric Raven
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have bought a Pioneer A717 MKII amplifier Smile
I know, not the first amp you might think of, but trust me, this amp is worth it!

I went to a guy who refurbishes older amplifiers and sells them with warranty. You pay a bit more, but you'll have a refurbished amp. I tested a Denon PMA1560, a Yamaha RX-1090, a Sony TA-730ES and the Pioneer A171-MKII and the Pioneer sounded (in my ears anyway) the best. It has two power supplies and weighs 19 kilograms. All the amps I mentioned are big ones btw.

Greetings Eric
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Raven wrote:
I asked "experts" for advise, but I get the feeling they do not understand the concept of transmission lines very well.

That's because there is nothing, in general, to understand. The TL is a misnomer. It dos not exist. A "transmission line" will act acoustically like a lossy closed box, lossy reflex or lossy organ pipe depending on the exact configuration and method of stuffing. You can check what yours is by measuring the impedance of the woofer in the box but without a crossover. Check the number of impedance peaks before the inductive rise.
One peak = a closed box
Two peaks = a reflex
> Two peaks = a pipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: