SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audionutter
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: What to do? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this site, great site BTW. My dilemma is this:

I have a pair of KEF 105/4's that I am not using at the moment and will probably never be able to use again in future as the WAF is not high due to the non-conventional cosmetics of the speakers. So this set me thinking, why not just take out the drive units, which are all working perfectly (actually the speakers are both working perfectly) and try to DIY them into a more conventional box/enclosure? I was thinking of something along the lines of the 107/2 type of appearance (basically keep the pods but make the bass enclosure taller, bigger and slimmer. I know the 107/2 uses 10" bass units and not 8" but since the 105/4's only have 8" pair, why not try something similar?

So anyone has any ideas or plans to share with me as to what I should aim for/try? Any help/comments much appreciated. Cheers!
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't many photos of 105.4s on the site and so if you could provide some I would be most grateful.

See Carl Westfield 105.4s.

Your project is quite ambitious and I personally have no plans available 'off the shelf'. You could make the height relative to width different by adding a plinth at the bottom and re-veneer. A few cosmetic changes might get the necessary WAF. OK, I know you have no chance with that!

Personally I don't care too much for the tall skiny type of speaker cabinet. My reaction is thus predictable.

Hopefully someone will come up with some ideas for you to use these B200s to good effect.

Terry
audionutter
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

Yeah, it's a shame to try to do what I am planning but since it is quite ambitious as you've pointed out, I may not be able to do it, especially if there's no plans for me to follow Crying or Very sad

Yes, I can as many pictures as you want of the speakers, just let me know where, how and who to send the pictures to. Mine's in black ash by the way so the colour matches a bit better than Carl's.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can email them then enquiries@allansonline.com is perfect. If you want to send them some other way let me know.

Regarding size and resolution of pictures I would be pleased to receive as large and high resolution as possible.

If you haven't broadband then best to make the size and resolution something more modest.
eg Pictures with height up to 450 pixels would be fine. Width can be up to 800 pixels. Resolution 72dpi.

If possible pictures of the inside would be most welcome but please don't do this if it causes you major work.

No hurry!

Many thanks

Terry
audionutter
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, will do as you've requested. Will take pics of them seperately and together, also of the insides and maybe the Xovers too? Have to bear with me for some time but I promise I will send the pics to you. Cheers.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. No hurry.
Thanks
Terry
audionutter
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

Have emailed you the pics, including ones of the Xovers (both surfaces) and insides. Let me know if you need anymore or if they don't arrive! Cheers.
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make an enclosure with the same volume as the originals and mount the drivers on the side...making the fronts area thin....you may even incorporate 2 smaller enclosures for the mids and tweets for a better WAF
Wouter
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

English is not my native language.
What do you mean with WAF? (already seen before...)

Thanks and best regards,
Wouter
Wouter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks and best regards,
Wouter
Wouter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks and best regards,
Wouter Embarassed
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor-ignore at your peril!
audionutter
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian t wrote:
WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor-ignore at your peril!

Very Happy Laughing Yes! Absolutely right. qguy's suggestion is worth thinking over though.......
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do? Reply with quote

Tricky, sell the WAF!
audionutter wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this site, great site BTW. My dilemma is this:

I have a pair of KEF 105/4's that I am not using at the moment and will probably never be able to use again in future as the WAF is not high due to the non-conventional cosmetics of the speakers. So this set me thinking, why not just take out the drive units, which are all working perfectly (actually the speakers are both working perfectly) and try to DIY them into a more conventional box/enclosure? I was thinking of something along the lines of the 107/2 type of appearance (basically keep the pods but make the bass enclosure taller, bigger and slimmer. I know the 107/2 uses 10" bass units and not 8" but since the 105/4's only have 8" pair, why not try something similar?

So anyone has any ideas or plans to share with me as to what I should aim for/try? Any help/comments much appreciated. Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: