SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

linn Kan Early Mk I B110 Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastrunner
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: linn Kan Early Mk I B110 Replacement Reply with quote

My kans were working fine until yesterday one of the mid bass unit just stop working. I need some help / advise please;

1) Whats the best way to remove the grille without damaging the cabinet?
2) If the drive unit is knacked, where can I get a replacement unit?
3) Could it be due to something wrong with the crossover?

The gaps between the grille and the cabinet are just tiny, what is the best tool for the job?

I understand the earliest version has a diffeerent Kef unit than the later Mk I's. Are these drivers quite easy to get?

The last resort for me will be cut open the grille and remove the grille frame and recloth it after the repair. I am hoping there is a easier or proper way to do this.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Whats the best way to remove the grille without damaging the cabinet?

Original Linn Kans (low Sn.) used LS3/5a cabinets from the defunct Chartwell.

The Kan grill frame is glued on with something obnoxious, as it's still sticky ten years after a friend of mine made some LS3/5a clones using "proper boxes" - yup I've got the Kan grills.

Removal was facilitated by the use of thin plastic applicators/scrapers used for automotive filler and other plaster like materials, plus a hair dryer.

Quote:
2) If the drive unit is knacked, where can I get a replacement unit?

You cannot, but you can get a secondhand unit of uncertain parentage from ePrey or Audiojumble type events.

Ask a "pink fish," depending upon your Sn your SP1003 frame and rear of cone may or may not be coated with car underseal.

Quote:
3) Could it be due to something wrong with the crossover?

Again a "pink fish" might have some idea.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
fastrunner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Kans Reply with quote

Hi Colin

Many thanks for your help. I managed to get it working again by massaging the cone and gave a bit volume to get it moving again. At first it makes a bit of crakling noises and now it is fully working.

I am going to run it all night and just to make sure it is ok.

Any idea what's the cause of this?

Thanks
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if the fabric spider has sagged allowing the voice coil to drop onto the pole, you're going to have to run this speaker upside down for a while (months) to try and equalise this.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
fastrunner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what normally cause this sagging then?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what normally cause this sagging then?

Very Happy

Gravity, use, abuse and age.

To correct is also like a boob-job; corrective surgery should only be carried out by qualified practitioners Razz.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Kans Reply with quote

fastrunner wrote:
I managed to get it working again by massaging the cone and gave a bit volume to get it moving again. At first it makes a bit of crakling noises and now it is fully working...Any idea what's the cause of this?

Ceramic magnets are very brittle. Sometimes during assembly, a small chip breaks off but gets magnetised and remains held somewhere close to the inside of the gap. It can stay there for years not causing any problems and then something will cause it to pop round the corner into the gap where it grates against the voice coil. Massaging and/or a burst of audio will often move the chip back out of the gap, until next time....

(Could be suspension sag, as Colin says, too)
fastrunner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been running them with moderate volumn for about 6 hours and have no sign of any crackling noises at all. Could that mean the problem has gone forever? Or I should still run them upside down as Colin suggested?

Thanks
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a metal frit, running them on their backs over Christmas might be a better idea and hopefully magnetism and gravity will sort things out for the longer term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: