SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Year's Eve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: New Year's Eve Reply with quote

Hello my fellow Kef-lovers.
Been away a while, our youngest daughter had to undergo some surgery, everything all right now thank God.
I wish you all a very pleasant New Year's Eve and a good beginning of 2010, be carefull with fireworks, watch your ears Wink
Lots of health and luck to all of you and the ones you love.
Greets, Bert
Lee in Montreal
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year 2010 to everyone, indeed. It will be a good year: Putting the finishing touch on my new 105-2 90 litres cabinets, just purchased a second Quad 405 to upgrade and use as a double mono, as well as a Quad 606 to upgrade to 909 specs. Also "cleaning-up" my Hafler D500 power amp. Wink
Plenty of KEF components for a few fun builds
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure, go on and make me yealous Very Happy
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as well as a Quad 606 to upgrade to 909 specs

Quad 707 & 909 amplifiers are cold and lifeless in comparison to the 606, as they use different output transistors requiring higher frequency suppression feedback loops.

The Quad 606 can be further divided between those with the "rock" toroidal transformers and more musical earlier "classical" C-sections.

Grunt isn't everything and some of these expensive kit modifications sound pretty poor in comparison with a unit that's recently visited Quad Service in Huntingdon.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
as well as a Quad 606 to upgrade to 909 specs

Quad 707 & 909 amplifiers are cold and lifeless in comparison to the 606, as they use different output transistors requiring higher frequency suppression feedback loops.

The Quad 606 can be further divided between those with the "rock" toroidal transformers and more musical earlier "classical" C-sections.

Grunt isn't everything and some of these expensive kit modifications sound pretty poor in comparison with a unit that's recently visited Quad Service in Huntingdon.

Interesting.

I'd heard similar before but not seen the reason behind it (hifi contains it's fair share of 'they don't make 'em like they used to').

Having owned a 909 for a while I'd have to say I was never really drawn in by it, though it did a perfectly good job of driving whatever I put on the end of it. Am now much preferring 30 Sugden watts to the 110 Quad watts that went before.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone. The last 4 days have been pretty productive for me. Just finished the elements of a test cabinet of 220lt that I want to use for trying out different combinations with some drivers, before I decide what I like better.

Will be trying B300 in sealed and vented enclosure, with single and twin drivers (in an isobaric chamber).

The WinISD simulations of the B300 in isobaric configuration and 190lt box tuned at 20Hz seem very promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: