SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie looking for advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: newbie looking for advice. Reply with quote

Hello all. My name is Harry, and I live in New Zealand,and I have just discovered this wonderfull site and was hoping some of you may be able to help me with a couple of queries. I am in the process of building a pair of T Line speakers for one of my sons using a B139,B110,T27 and DN12 combination.

Just for a bit of background information, I have built a couple of pairs of Bailey T lines in the past ( 25 years ago) but the current project is of my own design staying within the parameters found on the transmission line speakers website, and I have just completed another set of t lines also of my own design for my other son using drivers from a pair of Audio Monitor 9s with very satisfactory results.

Now for the queries. Firstly, I would like to mount the drivers in the baffle in such a way that the voice coils are aligned front to back so to speak, I think they call this time allignment,but I may be misinformed. What I need to know is do the same rules apply for the B139 being a flat diaphragm as for a conventional cone driver.

The second question is , is there an easy upgrade to the DN 12 regarding the hump in the frequency response around the 1 to 4 khz as I find this tends to harden vocals and guitar to some degree, or do I have to import a relacement crossover from the likes of Falcon whichI found elsewhere on this site.

I am hoping some of you may be able to point me in the right direction .

B T W great site, I have picked up a wealth of info already, keep up the great work.

cheers H H
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question

Yes - ~65mm, ~52mm & ~10mm for a time aligned B139B, B110, T27 combination.
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
First question

Yes - ~65mm, ~52mm & ~10mm for a time aligned B139B, B110, T27 combination.

Excellent, thankyou Colin
ian t
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: newbie looking for advice. Reply with quote

The second question is , is there an easy upgrade to the DN 12 regarding the hump in the frequency response around the 1 to 4 khz as I find this tends to harden vocals and guitar to some degree, or do I have to import a relacement crossover from the likes of Falcon whichI found elsewhere on this site.

It's worth trying a simple zobel network a la KEF CS7/CS9 crossover(eg.10uf cap & 10ohm 10w resistor in series) This network wired in parallel with the B110 will smooth the upper midrange response quite noticeably.
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I will certainly give that a try.

Cheers

Harry
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: All finished Reply with quote

Well, they are all done bar painting and I am most happy with the results.
Thanks verry much to Colin R and Ian T for your input, your advice and answers were taken seriously and put to use.
A picture and more detailed description are available under personal treasures on Terrys site.
Once again, thanks for all your help
Cheers
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: