SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring KEF Calindas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unknowable
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Restoring KEF Calindas Reply with quote

I have a pair of Calindas that were on a shelf in my brothers basement for years. Somebody left them at a recycling center and he grabbed them.

When I looked them up I was happy to see that they are so highly esteemed.

I can see that the cabinets were once beautiful, but they are now pretty much ruined. There are rings on the tops where somebody apparently had the habit of placing cold sweaty drinks. There are also many chips at the edges of the veneer. If I get them to sound good I may re-veneer them.

When I first tested them there was no sound from the tweeters. I opened one of the cabinets and found that the 3.3uf cap had burst. It turns out that the tweeters are also both blown.

I have a pair of tweeters I bought for another project but never used. It turns out they fit the cabinets perfectly, so I decided to try them. I put one of them in the cabinet that had the intact crossover, but there was no sound. My other brother, the audio tech, thought the 3.3uf cap in this cabinet might also be bad. So I bypassed the cap with a jumper and then there was sound.

When I was replacing the blown caps I noticed the 0.6uf cap in one of the speakers was bulging slightly, so I replace that one too.

I put tweeters in both of them and tested. There was way too much midrange. I also hear a lot of midrange coming from the woofer as well.

I think these tweeters I have are too loud (SPL 90db) for these speakers, but I also think the crossovers still need work. I will be replacing all of the other caps and resistors.

About the resistors: On the schematic I found here it shows the values as 22R and 3R. Does that mean 22 ohms and 3 ohms? As I recall the resistors looked all crappy on the outside and it may be hard to read the markings.

Does anybody know the proper SPL ratings for the tweeters? I am about to order some that are rated at SPL 89.

I am so glad I found this web site. Thanks in advance for any replies. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About the resistors: On the schematic I found here it shows the values as 22R and 3R.
Does that mean 22 ohms and 3 ohms?

As I recall the resistors looked all crappy on the outside and it may be hard to read the markings.

Yes.

Metal oxide resistors do go a bit "fluffy" over time, the values will be good though unless broken or burnt.

T27 SP1032 84dB/1W/1m, so you'll have to order some variable attenuators or get sufficient series/parallel resistors to perform 5dB attenuation using an online calculator.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
unknowable
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:

Metal oxide resistors do go a bit "fluffy" over time, the values will be good though unless broken or burnt.

That's good to know about the resistors. I guess I'll just leave them in place.

Quote:
T27 SP1032 84dB/1W/1m, so you'll have to order some variable attenuators or get sufficient series/parallel resistors to perform 5dB attenuation using an online calculator.

I like having a variable control, but I don't want to modify the cabinet. Where can I find an online calculator to determine a resistor network?
unknowable
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknowable wrote:
I like having a variable control, but I don't want to modify the cabinet. Where can I find an online calculator to determine a resistor network?

Never mind, I found it (diyaudioandvideo.com).

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: