SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Ref Series 101's for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: KEF Ref Series 101's for sale Reply with quote

I have had a pair of KEF Reference Series 101’s from the 70's for about 10 years. They sounded great for three of them. It was in the third year that my cat chewed through the wires on one of the tweeters.
The cat is gone but the speakers are still here.
The other I came across them. Thinking I would figure out how to repair the wires I did an internet search for them.
I knew these were great speakers but had no idea there was such a fan base for them.
Does anyone have any interest in these?
The serial numbers are 4261 A and B....a hint that these are probably from the first batch manufactured.

Last edited by Jay on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil

Use the "edit" button.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.

Last edited by ColinR on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote

So sorry. Is there a place on this site where members do such things?
Jay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Found it.... Reply with quote

I just found it and have moved the post. As a brand new member, I thank you for pointing out my error is such a civilized manner. I look forward to more such guidance in the future.
Raynald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Upsate New York.
Raynald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Speaker Talk Forum.

Now that we know where you are located someone is more likely to step forward. Have you though about how much you wanted for them?
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not. I did consider selling the parts separately, but after roaming around this website I'm not so sure. Seems to be some voices against taking these kind of speakers apart. I think I know why too. They do sound exceptional for the size they are and how old they are. I may also repair the wire and use them again, but not certain.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
I have not. I did consider selling the parts separately, but after roaming around this website I'm not so sure. Seems to be some voices against taking these kind of speakers apart. I think I know why too. They do sound exceptional for the size they are and how old they are. I may also repair the wire and use them again, but not certain.

The truth is the KEF reference series loudspeakers are more than the sum of their parts.

The drivers used for the reference series units were selected from the production runs to certain tolerances and then matched in bins of similar specs.
The individual crossover parts were also batched to tolerance groups and used in combinations of predictable and consistent responses.

The end result was a very consistent production in the reference series and with responses very close to the design.

If you take two random B110 and T27 drivers and then replace all the components on the crossovers with 5% tolerance components of the nominal values printed on the components you will get something inferior to the actual R101.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: