SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baobab's respected R50's Hmmm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shugg
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Baobab's respected R50's Hmmm Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Been lurking around and decided to join looks like a very informative site, sadly I only discovered this place after buying a pair of R50's from fleeceBay.

Yes I was the chump who bought the ones with the B&O crossover and a mish mash of drivers Embarassed
You can read about the bodge here http://baobab-audio.com/index_files/Page321. I was tempted to move them on and plead ignorance, but not my style.

Needless to say the sound was pretty dire, the treble was nasty and harsh, the mid was dull and the bass totally overwhelming in a bad way.

I should have known there would be trouble after looking at the workmanship involved in making the speaker stands, which will be used as kindling come the winter.

Taking the baffle off both units revealed a sorry state of affairs, the coles were blown, the isophon kk10 had been fire cemented into the baffle, one of the dalesford 110 needs refoaming, the wiring from the crossover to the drivers were joined together with insulation tape Shocked .

So my idea is to rebuild the R50, out goes the BO crossover and the isophons
Not sure whether to keep the dalesfords or replace with b110 sp1003.
I have the potential to buy a wilmslow r50 crossover plus two coles for £100, I've bought two T27's already and the existing b139's are fine

I'll need to build two new baffles as getting the isophons out was a nightmare that caused damage, I will look at getting the baffles made out of veneered MDF.

Can anyone give advice re the following

Falcon crossovers compared to the Wilmslow offering

vifa D27TG-35-06 be a better choice than a T27

QED 79 strand for all wiring (is this a good choice)

mounting the new crossovers externally due to size or still locate them on the baffle.

Any advice appreciated

Finally thanks to Colin R for his advice and help before I joined the forum.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an email with pictures Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
shugg
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin, I did speak to Jerry about two weeks ago and he was going to get back to me re pricing' guess he's still v busy with the new site as I've heard nothing yet.

Wilmslow seemed to just want to flog the board and didn't offer a great deal of advice, quite the opposite to Falcon.
AndyS
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Baobab R50s Reply with quote

Not sure whether this will be read but here goes.

Looks like I am the new owner of these speakers, well cabinets only and pehaps crossovers.

Thought I recognised the pics on that well loved site. They were sold as cabs and crossovers so lets hope the correct crossovers are with them not the B&O ones.

I would like to take some time and get them going, making a few changes along the way. The only real change will be to try a HF1300 instead of the T27. There appears to be many excellent crossovers for the HF1300 and Coles 4001; DM4s and BC1s for example so combine these with the original crossovers and my ears will do the rest.

Collecting tomorrow so fingers crossed. I wonder how many strs oh hands they have been through since owned by Mr Atiopu.

Wish me luck! Confused
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baobab R50s Reply with quote

Good luck and fingers crossed!
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Baobab R50s Reply with quote

Have collected them and will start a thread named Baobab/Cambridge R50s to document my adventures.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baobab R50s Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
Have collected them and will start a thread named Baobab/Cambridge R50s to document my adventures.

Looking forward to see what comes out. I own a pair of (original) TL 200's, just another name for R50's and i love them.
I saw the pics on baobab's site and i think they were kind of "raped".
Hope you can make them what they used to be: very fine speakers.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
AndyS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Baobab's R50s working! Reply with quote

Well if you haven't looked yet the infamous R50s are back up and running, with the original baffles too! Take a look at my thread. The more I listen to them the more I like them!
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Baobab's R50s working! Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
Well if you haven't looked yet the infamous R50s are back up and running, with the original baffles too! Take a look at my thread. The more I listen to them the more I like them!

I have been following you, don't worry Wink
Looks like you've done a nice job. I do have different T 27's though, i have the ones with the voicecoil leads on the front plate, don't know the exact typenr.s. Any here does??
Glad you like the R50's. they are great speakers indeed.

audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final T27 was SP1032 with wires on the faceplate, all black or sometimes black and blue in the Kef way. The previous one with clean face was 6340 though that had a variation for selling to other manufacturers.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
The final T27 was SP1032 with wires on the faceplate, all black or sometimes black and blue in the Kef way. The previous one with clean face was 6340 though that had a variation for selling to other manufacturers.

yes, that's them, backside is black and blue wire, frontside painted black, just as the frontplate of the coles tweeters are.
I knew the TL's 200 are the last series, they are 50 W rms instead of 25 W. (bigger inductors in the cross-overs).
Thank you audiolab.

AndyS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially trying to get the newer type T27, I have a dead pair and the older ones seemed to be a better fit. As the B139s were the original Racetrack type it was possible that the T27s were the older type. Not sure whether the sound would be much different? I have a pair of Morel CAT 298 Tweeters which are recommended by Falcon and the mounting holes are identical so I might try those at some point. If I can get a pair of the later T27s at a reasonable price I will try them, I also have a slightly later pair of B110s still SP1033s but originally black and a later pair of 139s so may be worth learning how to use a router.
At the moment the bass is a bit loose at times, never sure that is the recording or speaker, any ideas on whether I should add or take away the long haired wool from the bass chamber?
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the original fillings at the right places?
The white cloth stapled behind the B139 isn't there originally.
Perhaps it's better to remove it, might influence the speaker. Prevents it from a full swing.
Succes. TL.

proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
I was initially trying to get the newer type T27, I have a dead pair and the older ones seemed to be a better fit. As the B139s were the original Racetrack type it was possible that the T27s were the older type. Not sure whether the sound would be much different? I have a pair of Morel CAT 298 Tweeters which are recommended by Falcon and the mounting holes are identical so I might try those at some point. If I can get a pair of the later T27s at a reasonable price I will try them, I also have a slightly later pair of B110s still SP1033s but originally black and a later pair of 139s so may be worth learning how to use a router.
At the moment the bass is a bit loose at times, never sure that is the recording or speaker, any ideas on whether I should add or take away the long haired wool from the bass chamber?

The earlier T27s had a lower fs of 900Hz if my memory serves me correctly. The last version was 1,200Hz.
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL 200 wrote:
Did you use the original fillings at the right places?
The white cloth stapled behind the B139 isn't there originally.
Perhaps it's better to remove it, might influence the speaker. Prevents it from a full swing.
Succes. TL.

The original filling was not there, there was some wool but also some blocks from some B&W speakers. The original speakers has a sheet of foam between the baffle and cabinet, see early pics, used probably to keep the wool from the speaker backs. The material is this voile type stuff and easily as open as the foam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: